Push-Under Capo on a D/G Trompette

This is the place for hurdy-gurdy techie talk.

Push-Under Capo on a D/G Trompette

Postby halfies » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:17 pm

Playing some French tunes and old English Maggots we find quite a few are in Em, and a D trompette can sound horrid.

As you know, retuning each time is a bit of a pain if you need to do it quickly. Over the weekend I tried to devise and make a 'push-under capo' from a piece of Iroko. Not a new idea I know, with many variations around on the Toblerone theme.

Note that you need to profile the underside a bit to match the curvature of the soundboard !

It works very well but I found that using a string-notch to help with positive and stable location instantly renders the distance from the notch to the nose very critical, giving either too much or not enough buzz. I tried to get it so that you could change note quickly without needing to adjust the Tirant substantially every time.

I hope the 3 pics are helpful. Please do note that after providing the brilliant idea for 'thumb and finger grooves' Marjorie then set about making an Italian style capo of her own which she calls 'Genus Capo Biscotti' !!
Changes Trompette from D to E.jpg
Changes Trompette from D to E.jpg (249.73 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
with 'Capo Biscotti'.jpg
with 'Capo Biscotti'.jpg (250.46 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
String-notch and finger groove.jpg
String-notch and finger groove.jpg (250.2 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Changes Trompette from D to E.jpg
Changes Trompette from D to E.jpg (249.73 KiB) Viewed 1224 times

Best Wishes from

Robin (and Marjorie)
halfies

Re: Push-Under Capo on a D/G Trompette

Postby halfies » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:28 pm

We also emailed Neil about this, and he has just remarked to us that it can be better to leave the Capo short so as it finds it's own position i.e. not have the nose touching the Keybox.

Marj' also reminded me that while I made only one Capo, she made a whole jar full of the Italian ones !

'best

Robin

PS Sorry about the 'spare' pic in the original posting ............ PC finger trouble.
halfies

Return to Building and maintenance