Hurdy Gurdy Photo Thread

Hurdy Gurdy Photo Thread

Postby Scott Marshall » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:32 pm

I just thought it would be nice to have a thread of HG Pics :) Here is one to start things off: (Click on the photo to see the whole image)
nb1.jpg
nb1.jpg (99.96 KiB) Viewed 5829 times
Neil Brook Guitar Backed Gurdy C. 1992
Scott Marshall

Re: Hurdy Gurdy Photo Thread

Postby Scott Marshall » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:29 am

allen.jpg
Chris Allen guitar back
allen.jpg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
Scott Marshall

Postby WaterPig Master » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:09 pm

It's a guitar back back!

Nice to see part of a gurdy that isn't usually seen. I'll add a picture of mine as soon as I get round to it!

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Postby halfies » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:29 pm

Lovely Neil Brook Luteback circa 2000 (2009 pic).jpg
Lovely Neil Brook Luteback circa 2000 (2009 pic).jpg (377.11 KiB) Viewed 5610 times

Not sure if we can successfully attach a pic but here goes ...............

Rob and Marj'
halfies

Postby WaterPig Master » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:49 pm

Halfies - have you managed to sort out the liquid rosin that Neil put on?

That's a nice gurdy - I didn't get a proper look at it at the festival. Shiny!

Sorry about the double post - not sure how that happened...
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

Postby halfies » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi Barnaby,

Thanks, that was how she arrived all shiny from Neil last year. I think he uses 'Window Cleaner' (Sainsbury's ?) as a cleaner, as shown on his excellent Maintenance DVD.

At Youlgrave we have to remember I think, that Neil was doing a workshop demonstration and time was not generous enough really to enable a proper burnishing of the wheel after enthusiastic rosining using Sticky Stuff, hence our terribly harsh Trompette. A brisk and hard burnishing with a cloth afterwards, soon restored normal function.

We like his 'Sticky Stuff' (Rosin dissolved in Acetone) and bought another bottle at Youlgrave. We find it excellent for getting the cotton to wrap the strings properly. However it has to be said that in our experience it can give a quite harsh sounding result on the wheel, even after burnishing. It is also alarmingly easy to apply too much, or even worse waggle the brush from side to side. However prior to Youlgrave and Neil's ministrations, we were using, as you witnessed, rather too much Chanter pressure, which aggravated the problem.

Our Gurdy sounds very good now though, and at the moment we favour occasionally using little more than a single wheel turn using lightly applied 'Artcraft Dark' to the central / bridge-side area of the rim. Less is more as they say.

Loved your Organum tuning play on YouTube by the way, very interesting. Your technique is advancing at a mighty rate too 'Mr Spider Hands' !

Very Best Wishes,

Rob and Marj'
halfies

Postby halpin_bridget » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:48 am

That is a good - and interesting - shot of Scott's gurdy from the back and it is a beautiful gurdy.

And the Halfies' Neil Brook gurdy looks quite spectacular, too. I did have a glimpse at it Thursday evening in the Bull's Head. Interesting idea of using window cleaner to "shine up" wood ;) .

Bridget
halpin_bridget

Postby WaterPig Master » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Hi there,

Our Gurdy sounds very good now

Oh, good. Sounding harsh is a nasty problem, especially with one like yours - much more potential volume!

Loved your Organum tuning play on YouTube by the way, very interesting. Your technique is advancing at a mighty rate too 'Mr Spider Hands' !

Thanks! I've recently re-tuned back to unison, as the lower string was making some bad noises on some notes as a result of being too slack. I'm going to order another, slightly thicker string, allowing me to play the note I want to get at the best tension possible.

Interesting idea of using window cleaner to "shine up" wood

I've got to the finishing stage of my instrument making now... and my 'teacher' has imparted much fascinating knowledge to me regarding finishing stuff! So far we've used a floor lacquer and some car polish... and the bit he's finished looks fabulous! I just hope I can do the rest to the same standard...

Thanks,
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

Postby halfies » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Hey Barnaby,
I know this is a photo string but are you actually making an instrument ............... a Gurdy ? Have we missed something somewhere ? Do tell us more please. (better perhaps post a picture too !)

Apologies if we have missed a stack of info in another previous set of postings.

'best

Rob and Marj'
halfies

Postby WaterPig Master » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi Rob and Marj,

I am currently making an appalachian dulcimer, with plans (literally :)) to make a gurdy soon. Pictures and information about the dulcimer are on my website: http://www.waterpigs.co.uk/music/DulcimerBuilding.php. I need to update it with the latest information - as I said, I'm onto the finishing stage now - probably the most long winded and tortuous set of processes in lutherie!

Thanks,
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

Next

Return to Gallery