Gurdy with small pipes?

Hurdy-gurdy tunes, playing tips and advice, sheet music and books

Gurdy with small pipes?

Postby Dave the Flute » Sat May 25, 2013 9:38 am

Hi: as a relative new player I need a little advise. I got a Neil Brook lute back at the end of last Feb after a long enforced lay off. Practicle stuff is going well due to two hours a day practice. 8) Coups are coming back. Finger board is working well. Set up is good and the instrument is playing well. However I may have shot myself in the foot. I have been out to a couple of folk clubs to play and get reaction and have been asked to take bookings to come and play. Some people are mad. 8)

However one request is to play with a piper useing Scotish small pipes in A at a festival. I have a D/G. Has anyone done this and would I have to change strings. Was thinking of tuning mouche to A. I don't want to experiment to much with other drones till I have a bit more money to replace "accidents". Hints and sugestions would be appreciated. Or is it just a bad idea?

Thank you. Dave the flute. 8)
Dave the Flute

Re: Gurdy with small pipes?

Postby Gallopede » Mon May 27, 2013 3:57 pm

I've played with pipers, but not on a hurdy gurdy. I believe they are occasionally in concert pitch, but the Scottish pipes I've played along with have all been in A+. (That includes the electronic set). You need to meet well in advance and get in tune. I shouldn't think it'll break your strings.
Gallopede

Re: Gurdy with small pipes?

Postby Gallopede » Mon May 27, 2013 4:04 pm

And I should have said I think it's a really exciting idea and not silly at all. Hurdy Gurdies play with pipes in France all the time. Why should they have all the fun?
Gallopede

Return to Playing