Another hello!

If you are new to the forum, please post a few lines about yourself here.

Another hello!

Postby Draenog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:30 am

Hello everyone,

I've just joined the forum, though I must admit to having lurked expectantly around here for a few months while I was waiting for my gurdy to be made!

Now I have it, and am starting to make noises on it that don't sound too much like a strangled cat, I thought it was time to step out of the shadows.

One question I have for you all to begin with... I got myself the Neil Brook tutor DVD and am busy trying to get the hang of trompette work. At what stage should I consider getting my left hand involved, or is it best to stick to learning how to turn the handle properly for the first few weeks?
Draenog

Re: Another hello!

Postby Scott Marshall » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:08 pm

I think you can get both hands working together straight away. I used to (& still do) practice very simple little phrases to tie to the trompette. For instance (on a d gurdy) an A and a D (open) (or on a g gurdy D & G open) to a 2 buzz (position 1 & 3 on the wheel). If learning a tune I will normally learn the left hand first then add the right hand buzzes afterwards.

It helps to have a melody string & drone with the trompette when practising as it gives a bit of resistance on the wheel & helps to make cleaner buzzes when you are starting out.

Have a look at this thread too: http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/HurdyG ... r=1&tidx=1
Scott Marshall

Re: Another hello!

Postby Draenog » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:52 am

Hi Scott,

Thanks for that advice, and for the link. The suggestion for remembering the parts of the coup de quatre you mention on that other thread is particularly useful!

I've learned a basic repetitive tune for the left hand so I can start concentrating on the right a bit more. It's a bit more interesting that way than just hearing the same note over and over again!

Early days... ;) :shock:
Draenog

Return to Newcomers' introduction