Fingering technique

Hurdy-gurdy tunes, playing tips and advice, sheet music and books

Fingering technique

Postby Lizards » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:25 pm

I'll be grateful for comments on how others finger long runs, please.
I have a downwards run of 8 quavers/(eighth-notes if you prefer).
If you're playing this all on the diatonic keys, no sharps or flats to use as stepping stones for a nice easy shift, would you tend to run down using fingers 1212121234 with finger 1 passing 2 to keep changing hand position, as I'm doing at present, or is there a better way?
I find it quite comfortable, just don't know what if any the conventional/recommended technique is here.
Thanks,
Richard.
Lizards

Re: Fingering technique

Postby WaterPig Master » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:49 am

Hi richard,

Just from trying that out myself, I prefer using 12341234, as it minimises then gaps where hand position is changing. I find I can get a much more fluid run that way compared to the 12121234.

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Re: Fingering technique

Postby Lizards » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Thanks Barnaby,
I'm torn between having less distant but more frequent moves, in the 12121234 case, and having to move it further when it does change, in the 12341234 version. For me the greater leap from 4 to 1 creates more lumpiness of movement... or perhaps I've just got an odd hand!

I've been told that in baroque keyboard playing they mainly used only the first three fingers, and not the little finger at all. I'm not sure whether they did or didn't use the thumb, which would add one to move with which we're pretty well denied.

Anybody else care to add anything?

Best wishes,
Richard.
Lizards

Return to Playing