Morillo symphony on Ebay

Gurdies for sale! Buy or sell your hurdy-gurdy, or wise up here before buying anything.
Please read the buyer's guide stickie before posting or responding in this section!

Morillo symphony on Ebay

Postby Geoff Turner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:26 pm

Item number 320661369716

This symphony used to belong to me (I made the straps), and it is one of the few of Mr Morillo's that actually used to play ok, albeit the keys are a bit short, and bang against the keybox, therefore no scope for bending notes.

However, the seller says that the wheel is damaged. As he has described rosin as 'hard wax', it may be that he just doesn't know how to get it working. I don't think that this is the person that I sold it to. In any case, when you can get one of Neil's for just over £800, £650 is way too steep for this. (Although when I bought it, not on the forum and knowing no better, it was about £800 from the EMS).

As usual, caveat emptor.
Now, anyone want a nice Pajot? :lol:

Geoff
Geoff Turner

Re: Morillo symphony on Ebay

Postby Geoff Turner » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:30 pm

OK, I took a punt and bought it back, as the vendor had reduced the price to £400. As I sold it to him for £650, it seemed a good deal, if what he described as damage was just lack of knowledge. I had contacted him, and he had told me that he hadn't done anything, it had just stopped working.

What he seems to have done is to try using beeswax on the wheel instead of rosin, not suprisngly this did not work. The wheel may have got a wet spot on it at some time as well, as there was a swelling on it. After application of a cabinet scraper, this sorted that problem.

When I originally sold it, I had very little knowledge on how to maintain a hurdy-gurdy, and it still played, albeit not brilliantly. Having now had 5 other instruments of varying ages and styles, I have obviously soaked up a lot of information, as within an hour, it played better than when I had it originally.

Therefore I got a playable symphony for £400, although I had previously lost £150 on it. It is not the best instrument in the world, but it was the one that got me into hurdy-gurdy playing, and as such, holds some sentimental value for me.

By the way, I would not recommend anyone buying one of these, as I have seen others that were virtually unplayable. I was obviously lucky in the first place.

Geoff
Geoff Turner

Re: Morillo symphony on Ebay

Postby Scott Marshall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:38 pm

Thats great Geoff, glad you got it back :)

I like these 'ownership journeys' the instruments go on : I was really glad to get that Brook guitar body back from you!
Scott Marshall

Return to Marketplace