Glues and Purfling

This is the place for hurdy-gurdy techie talk.

Glues and Purfling

Postby Pugwash » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:49 am

I'm in the process of building a second HG using the MacCormack plans. I tried over a year ago but had little success with the main body. Since that time there is now another yearsworth of information on the Web and I've got a body complete ready to move on. The soundboard material arrived the other day (W Red Cedar) as did the stock for the keys (Ebony) and the strutting (Spruce).

Here's a link to the job so far

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 14b592298a

I'm planning ahead a bit now and so am seeking some information/guidance on purfling and a suitable glue. I have Neil's excellent DVD (spent the whole afternoon watching a master at work instead of doing the garden) and so I do understand how to tackle the barberpole edging and the purfling.

My queries are these:-

1) will hide glue be suitable for use with ABS Black/White/Black purfling ? I'm planning on using boxwood and ebony for the edging itself.

2) if not - can anyone recommend a suitable substitute for the ABS purfling, and a supplier.

3) or a suitable alternative to the hide glue - which does seem to be the best bet for the job ?

Regards

Peter
Pugwash

Re: Glues and Purfling

Postby Scott Marshall » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Sounds good! Hopefully Neil will be along soon :)
I thought the 'making' DVD was great too!
Scott Marshall

Postby Pugwash » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 pm

I also rather like Neil's way of making the tangents. The prospect of making 96 all metal ones, as in the plans, was trifle daunting, but the combined idea of the wooden tangent with the screw fastening seems such a natural progression.

Peter
Pugwash

Postby gurdymaker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks for the kind words about the dvd. I'm glad it's helping.

Hide glue has been the preferred adhesive for luthiers for as long as there have been instruments. It's particularly good when purfling because glue added to each segment re-activates the previous bit. ABS purfling is fine with it
I don't like the liquid hide glue, even if it seems to be more convenient, it doesn't grab as nicely as hot glue. The initial outlay for a "proper" glue pot is a silly price. I use a cheap chocolate heater sold for fruit covering- it's perfect and you have a ready supply of hot water to clean off excess glue.

One thing about cedar, it's less dense than spruce so keep it nice and thick - I don't know what the plan specifies but I wouldn't go thinner than 5mm personally.
gurdymaker

Postby Pugwash » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Thanks for the advice, all gratefully taken on board.

As yet I haven't quite got to the edging stage (work got in the way) but hope to progress a fair bit over the Easter break. I like your idea for the glue-pot, I did make some enquiries through the FoMRHI and found one of their members who uses a baby bottle heater.

All being well I hope to make it to Gurdyfest for at least one day and meet you in person.

Kind regards

Peter
Pugwash

Return to Building and maintenance