New to hurdy-gurdies

Hello, welcome to the Hurdy-gurdy Forum. We are an online group for hurdy-gurdy players and enthusiasts. Hopefully you will make some great gurdy friends here, chat about tunes, events, workshops and strings and fluff. Swap information and stories and so on, and learn more about the best instrument ever!

Due to the large amount of spam registration attempts we have disabled registration. In order to join the group send an email to gurdyfest"at"yahoo.co.uk (replace "at" with @) and tell us your choice of username and why you want to join the bulletin board.

Re: New to hurdy-gurdies

Postby andycarter » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Tony
When I got into this mad world of gurdyisms I too was concerned about paying out a lot of money for something I might not get the hang of. I bought a Morillo symphony from the early music shop for around £700 for a case which was the cheapest price I could find for an instrument. It allowed me to get the hang of cottoning the strings, tuning, and seeing how the thing worked. However, in my opinion and in the opinion of Neil Brook (these are opinions only if any lawyers are reading this!), the instrument wasn't up to much. I ended up selling it on after 9 months via the early music shop agency for £500. So that's £200 for 9 months use, or £22 a month which I don't think was too bad. (I did then go on to buy one of Neil's gurdys...)
BTW If you do buy new from the early music shop, I think they still do some sort of pay little by little at 0% scheme (funded by the Arts Council). However, from my own experience, I wouldn't recommend the Morillo in particular.

Cheers
Andy
Andy Carter + Blue Hurdy
Pennine West Yorkshire
UK
andycarter

Postby Bedon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Thanks Scott for the info. Where is the Gurdy Festival? Tony
Bedon

Postby Bedon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Thanks Andy, hearing about your experience is very useful. Just the sort of thing I would expect to happen. Isn't it nice there are so many people out there willing to help. It's certainly giving me a better idea of what's involved. Tony.
Bedon

Postby Scott Marshall » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Bedon wrote:Thanks Scott for the info. Where is the Gurdy Festival? Tony

Its in Youlgrave Derbyshire have a look at www.gurdy.co.uk
We are just putting the programme together now, and will update the website soon, it's usually alot of fun :)
Scott Marshall

Postby halpin_bridget » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:49 am

Hi Tony,

In my opinion that was a bit of an understatement from Scott about the GurdyFest ;) ! I went for the first time this year and am planning on going back next year because it was absolutely brilliant! If you are able to I would recommend going to the festival where you'll meet lots of nice people, hear great music and have lots of fun.

Bridget
halpin_bridget

Postby Scott Marshall » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks Bridget! :oops:
Scott Marshall

Postby halpin_bridget » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:20 am

You're welcome Scott :lol: !

Tony, I forgot to mention that you would also have the opportunity to try out different types of gurdies from different makers, which would be very helpful in deciding what type of gurdy to go for.

Regards,

Bridget
halpin_bridget

Previous

Return to Main Forum