New to hurdy-gurdies

Hello, welcome to the Hurdy-gurdy Forum. We are an online group for hurdy-gurdy players and enthusiasts. Hopefully you will make some great gurdy friends here, chat about tunes, events, workshops and strings and fluff. Swap information and stories and so on, and learn more about the best instrument ever!

Due to the large amount of spam registration attempts we have disabled registration. In order to join the group send an email to gurdyfest"at"yahoo.co.uk (replace "at" with @) and tell us your choice of username and why you want to join the bulletin board.

New to hurdy-gurdies

Postby Bedon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:45 am

First heard a hurdy-gurdy at a medieval fair a fortnight ago. What a great sound! Would love to learn to play one. Ouch - aren't they expensive. I'm not deterred though so obviously I would like to get as much advice as possible before spending £1000 or so. I have looked up as much as I can on the internet. How about a Symphonia? I am no musical instrument technician. I would like to play Scottish bagpipe tunes if possible. Can you help a complete novice? Thanks.
Bedon

Re: New to hurdy-gurdies

Postby Scott Marshall » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:38 pm

Neil Brook makes a well featured, small ,but loud, instrument within your budget, I don't think his waiting list is too long http://www.hurdy-gurdy.org.uk/wren.html
Scott Marshall

Postby WaterPig Master » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:34 pm

Hi there,

I can personally recommend Chris Allen's Symphony - I 'upgraded' mine with a few features and it cost me slightly less that £1000. You can find demonstration and review here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJSOwSWGYv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3b6NlPXS-0

Either Chris or Neil will get you a top quality, affordable instrument. I suggest you contact them both and see what they have to offer. Have fun!

Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Postby Bedon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:56 am

Thanks very much Barnaby. Great clips on YouTube, just what I needed. Your Symphonia sounds really good too, just the sort of vaguely Celtic sound I wanted. I'm sure it's not as easy as you make it look but super clear demonstration. Thanks a lot, Tony.
Bedon

Postby Bedon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks Scott and everyone else for taking the trouble to reply. The names that are coming up again and again are Chris Allen and Neil Brook. I think you are quite right in suggesting I contact them. Thanks again, Tony.
Bedon

Postby Bedon » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:58 pm

Have e-mailed Neil Brook today. 18 month waiting list! He did suggest that as I am not a real musician or technician it might not be the instrument for me. Refreshing not to get the hard sell anyway. Perhaps have to reconsider. Tony.
Bedon

Postby Scott Marshall » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Have you played any instruments before Tony? I think if you like the sound persevere with it and try to find an instrument. There are alot of things to learn about how to maintain and get a good sound etc, but you would get alot of help from forum members. Maybe there is someone near you who could give you a lesson/ let you have a go?

PS Barnaby is a bit of a whizz-kid, but I think he had only been playing 2 weeks when he made those you tube clips :)
Scott Marshall

Postby halpin_bridget » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:48 am

Hi Tony,

Scott's advice is very good: if you're keen, give it a try and persevere! I started learning to play the hurdy gurdy approx. 4 1/2 years ago and didn't play an instrument before. And as has already been suggested, try to find a gurdy player near you or alternatively go to a gurdy gathering and have a go on someone's gurdy. For me it was love at first go, so to speak ;) .

All the best!

Bridget
halpin_bridget

Postby Bedon » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, both of you. I did play the guitar (badly) for many years for my own amusement and the harmonica (if that counts as an instrument). Had a minor stroke which meant my right hand (I'm left-handed) doesn't work quite as well as before. Got fed up with missing chord changes so gave the guitar to my daughter. The hurdy-gurdy looks ideal as the right hand only winds and the left does the hard work. Perhaps I will carry on my initial interest. Tony.
Bedon

Postby Scott Marshall » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Tony the right hand does quite a bit to make the rythmic buzzing sound, but you can play without buzzing :) I sometimes think of the gurdy as a one string guitar you have to go up and down alot :D
Keep an eye on the forum for a secondhand instrument, or look on eBay, or get your name down on a makers waiting list...the time does go quicker than you think, plus it gives you time to save up! Incidentally I used to have one of Chris Allen's Symphonies, it was an excellent instrument.

Simon Wascher has a list of makers here: http://drehleierwiki.a.wiki-site.com/in ... umentenbau?

The Gurdy festival is in May, it's a good place to see/try/hear alot of instruments.
Scott Marshall

Next

Return to Main Forum