Hello from the Gurdy Girl

If you are new to the forum, please post a few lines about yourself here.

Hello from the Gurdy Girl

Postby Gurdy Girl » Sat May 02, 2009 1:55 am

My name is Jane Ruckert and I perform as Gurdy Girl. I live on a farm at Nairne in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia. I started teaching myself and playing Hurdy Gurdy in 2001 on my Tim Guster luteback called Isobel. Barb Dwyer (now resident in Canada) came to Adelaide and ran workshops and a gurdy gathering in 2005 which took my playing to a "better" level.
In January 2008 I had the opportunity to attend Baroque Hurdy Gurdy workshop in Switzerland with Matthias Loibner and Toby Miller. I returned to Europe in April 2008 for a fortnight of intensive lessons with Matthias, finishing up at the Lancaster festival with my new Wolfgang Weichselbaumer Alto. On this trip I also picked up a Nyckelharpa and Hardanger.
My love of European and particularly Scaninavian music has grown and I am currently enrolled in the European Nyckelharpa Training at Castle BURG FÜRSTENECK in Germany.
In June 2008 I released my first CD and I took delivery of my second one last week. The goal with both cds is to demonstrate the versatility of my instruments so they cover a range from medieval inspired through classical to absolute contemporary. I felt very honoured when Nigel Eaton gave me permission to record my own version of his classic "Captains Courageous". I tied that together with a version of "Yea ho little fish" with the help of Australian Folk legend Danny Spooner who helps out on a number of other tracks.
I return to Germany shortly for my next workshop at the Castle then dash over to Youlgrave where I hope to renew many old friendships from last year.
Cheers for now,
Jane Ruckert, the Gurdy Girl
Gurdy Girl

Re: Hello from the Gurdy Girl

Postby CeciliaKM » Sat May 02, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Jane,

Welcome here too, I look forward to seeing you again at Youlgrave. Hope you join the Baroque "crowd" too.
You are a very lucky girl to have started it so early and being able to travel and learn from such prestigious people. Obviously you have high ambitions and I am curious and excited to see where you get to in the coming years.

Cecilia
Cecilia

"si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"
"ha hallgattál volna, bölcs maradtál volna"
"if only you had kept quiet you would have remained wise"
CeciliaKM
Site Admin

Re: Hello from the Gurdy Girl

Postby Scott Marshall » Sat May 02, 2009 10:19 am

Hi Jane, it will be good to see you again in a fortnight :)
ATVB Scott
Scott Marshall

Return to Newcomers' introduction