Nottingham: Now with added hurdy-gurdy!

If you are new to the forum, please post a few lines about yourself here.

Nottingham: Now with added hurdy-gurdy!

Postby Noodle » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:00 pm

Now that's the 'hilarious' part out of my system...

Hello I'm Will. I've been the proud owner of my first gurdy, a D/G Neil Brook Wren, for nearly a year.

Sadly, for much of that year I haven't been playing much thanks to the frustration of trying to tame the beast. Having found a set of youtube videos explaining sound trompette technique recently, I've picked it up again, taken it back to Neil to get it sounding more to my liking and I'm now enjoying the noise I'm making.

It's been almost a month since I picked it up again so I'm still wrestling with the trompette technique, and my fingers are more 'recovering addict' than 'dancing spider', if you'll excuse the colourful phrasing, but the only way to learn to play it right is to play, right?

Other than that, I'm a melodeon player, morris dancer, grumpy young git and occasionally entertaining, quiet individual.

I'll probably end up simply lurking and absorbing rather than actively contributing for now, but I'm looking forward to that moment where things *click* and I become a decent enough player to join in comfortably without making other gurdy lovers wince.

Cheers
Noodle

Re: Nottingham: Now with added hurdy-gurdy!

Postby Gallopede » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:14 am

Good luck! It's an instrument which takes a lot of getting used to.
Gallopede

Return to Newcomers' introduction