Struggling Gurdyist

If you are new to the forum, please post a few lines about yourself here.

Struggling Gurdyist

Postby Gallopede » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:27 pm

Hello to the Forum. I have had a Royal College Hurdy Gurdy by Paul Baker - rather like the one at the top of http://www.diabolus.org/workshop/gurdy- ... yalcol.htm. I have had it for more years than I care to remember - nine, I think. I've only just got to grips with it because I found the very loud noise combined with the vibrations frightening. Ridiculous, isn't it? This winter my ears were badly blocked and the Hurdy Gurdy was the only instrument I could hear at all. It's lucky we have no neighbours at the moment because suddenly I was happily cranking away. Then I had my ears syringed and discovered what a terrible noise I was making - but my Hurdy Gurdy phobia is cured. With a lot of tuning and cottoning (and swearing) I have got it making quite a pleasant noise. I have Ina Lemm's DVD and can now play the first two exercises so I am learning a real tune before going on to the next exercise. The tune I am trying to learn is Gavotte du Poher. It was the easiest tune I could find which actually sounded like a tune - but I didn't realise at first that it should be played very very fast or I might have picked something else. Wish me luck!
Last edited by Gallopede on Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gallopede

Re: Strugling Gurdyist

Postby Scott Marshall » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:50 pm

Hi! It would be worth finding another player to try your instrument, it might have too much rosin on, or the strings may need shimming up with small pieces of paper.
Blue Tacked pound coins can be used to quieten an instrument down, stick one near the trompette chein, you can stick them to the backs of bridges too, or pieces of lead. I have even seen AA batteries blue tacked to drone bridges.
Good luck & welcome to the forum:)
Scott Marshall

Re: Struggling Gurdyist

Postby Gallopede » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:17 am

Thankyou. I'm getting the hang of shimming but I haven't bluetacked anything on. Paul did recommend use of a pound coin!
Gallopede

Return to Newcomers' introduction