hello

If you are new to the forum, please post a few lines about yourself here.

hello

Postby ruthie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:57 pm

hello everyone,

I'm ruthie, i eventually had a play on a luteback at Towersey last year and loved how it tickled my tummy. isn't it amazing an instrument can do that!
i was young and penniless so there was only one thing i could do. i spent all my rent money on a hurdy gurdy and moved back in with my mum. i got a train over to Preston to meet Neil Brook and came back with a hurdy gurdy on my knee.

I've had it for a few months now and it is very very lovely. i've started using it in my storytelling which is what i do for a living. its going ok, i play cello, viola etc so alot of it seems transferable but the drone is completely new to me. hence why i am here, i think i could really do with a teacher. I'm based imbetween manchester and leeds so if anyone knows anyone that's near me and could teach then i would be very happy to hear from you.

Thanks,
Ruthie :)
ruthie

Re: hello

Postby snozz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:18 am

Hi Ruthie

There are usually 3 or 4 gurdy players at the Panards sessions in Leeds which is the first Thursday of the Month. (http://www.frenchdanceleeds.co.uk/regular.html)

Again, there are 2 or 3 at the dance sessions on the 3rd Thursday of the month.

I'm just learning myself but they are both excellent opportunities to get out there and play with people (and get advise!).

Would be good to see you if you can make it.

There are several gurdy players I know of in the area between Leeds and Manchester - not sure if any teach though.

Snozz
snozz

Postby ruthbramley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:42 pm

ruthie wrote:hello everyone,

I'm ruthie, i eventually had a play on a luteback at Towersey last year and loved how it tickled my tummy. isn't it amazing an instrument can do that!

Welcome, Ruthie, from another Ruthie :-) This could get confusing...
Forthcoming gigs:
14 Oct - Steve Tilston, Ely Folk Club
18 Nov - James Hickman and Dan Cassidy, Ely Folk Club
5 Dec - ColvinQuarmby, Arkenstall Village Centre, Haddenham, Cambs
9 Dec - Dave Swarbrick, Ely Folk Club
ruthbramley

Postby Scott Marshall » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Nice one Ruthie! Welcome to the forum :)
Scott Marshall

Postby halpin_bridget » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:14 pm

Now that's what I call true love! ;)
halpin_bridget

Postby andycarter » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:12 am

Hi Ruthie,
I am also twixt Manchester & Leeds perched on the Pennine way in Heptonstall, and also have a Neil Brook tummy tickler (!). There is at least one other gurdy player in Halifax...
I wouldn't say either of us could teach, lets just say we're possibly a few more pages ahead in the manual! :lol:

Cheers
Andy
andycarter

Postby ruthie » Mon May 11, 2009 5:35 pm

hello everyone,

thanks for your messages,

snozz,
i think we may have briefly met at Otley folk festival last year - i like the sound of the french music sessions in leeds, I'm in Marsden and on local transport so its a bit hectic getting back on an evening, I'm determined to get there eventually but it may take some time.

hopefully i shall see you there in the future :)

Andy,
i was in Heptonstall last month for the pace eggers - aren't they brilliant! do you play anywhere regularly? i know they have a few sessions at the pub at the bottom of the village, the fox and something? or the something and fox? i'm pretty sure there is a fox in there somewhere. have you got the hang of the drone yet? i haven't got a book or anything (which i know i really should have) so everything is guess work at the moment. i think i could do with seeing other people playing a bit more just to make sure i'm not playing it upside down or anything!

i love the look of your blue hurdy gurdy :)

Ruthie
ruthie

Postby Scott Marshall » Mon May 11, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi Ruthie,
we will be working on an free online tuition section of the website after the festival, with lots of tech tips, tunes and photographs to get you going. It's true that it is best to get some one to one tuition from a good player as soon as you can, because they can see what you are doing and point out bad habits quickly. It's a shame you can't make the festival this weekend, Snozz and Andy will be there :)
ATVB Scott
Scott Marshall

Postby andycarter » Thu May 14, 2009 1:25 pm

Hi Ruthie,
I haven't quite made it to The Fox & Goose with my hurdy yet. I know they do (did?) have a monthly 'piper-holic' session once a month, I thought that may be the best time to make an appearance!

I'm glad you enjoyed the Pace Egg play. I've always thought this guy is the best Image (That's me that is! - sorry, a bit off topic for most people).

If you've got a suitable venue which doesn't involve you spending days on public transport (I have a car so that's ok!) we could meet up to see where you're at. As I say I'm no expert, and I still have loads to learn, but I have managed to get a reasonable sound out of the thing, and I have had a bit of hurdyfest-type tuition by a few of the 'famous names' off the forum!

Cheers
Andy
Andy Carter + Blue Hurdy
Pennine West Yorkshire
UK
andycarter

Postby ruthie » Fri May 22, 2009 10:16 pm

ah! as if you're one of the pace eggers. i just did a dissertation on all that stuff last year and managed to interview one of your fellow pace eggers (bold slasher?) noticed he wasn't there this year - hope he's well.

it would be great to meet you for some hurdy gurdy tips. My morris side are planning to have a dance out at the fox and goose some time soon with Wayzegoose. if i find out the date i could pass it on to you and we could have a bit of a gurdy session afterwards.
fancy it?

hope you're well.
ruthie

Next

Return to Newcomers' introduction