Hi from Scott!

If you are new to the forum, please post a few lines about yourself here.

Hi from Scott!

Postby Scott Marshall » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 pm

As Paul says, we are all new to this forum, so here is an introduction from me too :D

When I saw/heard my first gurdy at a wedding reception in Cornwall in 2001 I was spellbound! Being a bit of an obsessive type I couldn't stop thinking about them :mrgreen: . I looked into buying one from EMS :shock: as a kit, or making one on a residential luthier's course or trying to convince my girlfriend to buy me one for Christmas :lol: From 2004 I started to seriously save for an instrument, and in July 2005 I caught the bus from Lancaster to Preston to visit Neil Brook. Neil was really helpful, he had loads of instruments in stock ready to take to St.Chartier, a symphony, a Bosch, a guitar body and a couple of lutebacks. I had planned to be sensible an buy a Bosch, but ended up with a little luteback with stereo pickups. I met Paul Sherwood soon after this, in Lancaster, and he really helped me out, teaching me stuff patiently. I started looking on Myspace for other gurdy players and created the Yahoo group/ Hurdy gurdy Forum in May 2006 so we could chat :) I now live in the midlands and play harmonised duet type stuff with Cecilia in our new thing gurdy-gurdy I am really looking forward to meeting up with people at Youlgrave.

Cheers Scott
Scott Marshall

Re: Hi from Scott!

Postby CeciliaKM » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:27 pm

And you forgot to say that organised the first HG festival in Lancaster, that was something too!
Cecilia

"si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"
"ha hallgattál volna, bölcs maradtál volna"
"if only you had kept quiet you would have remained wise"
CeciliaKM
Site Admin

Postby ruthbramley » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Scott Marshall wrote:I started looking on Myspace for other gurdy players...

And that's how hurdygurdyboy met hurdygurdywoman...and had a nice picnic on Parker's Piece in Cambridge :-)
Forthcoming gigs:
14 Oct - Steve Tilston, Ely Folk Club
18 Nov - James Hickman and Dan Cassidy, Ely Folk Club
5 Dec - ColvinQuarmby, Arkenstall Village Centre, Haddenham, Cambs
9 Dec - Dave Swarbrick, Ely Folk Club
ruthbramley

Postby Scott Marshall » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:29 pm

ruthbramley wrote:
Scott Marshall wrote:I started looking on Myspace for other gurdy players...

And that's how hurdygurdyboy met hurdygurdywoman...and had a nice picnic on Parker's Piece in Cambridge :-)

It seems so long ago now Ruthie, so much has happened since then.....
Scott Marshall

Return to Newcomers' introduction