Hi from Snozz

If you are new to the forum, please post a few lines about yourself here.

Hi from Snozz

Postby snozz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Hi all

Just a quick introduction from me.

I've been playing my Gurdy for just under a year. It's a Gotschy Abraxus. The melodeon is my main instrument - i've played for around 10 years. I also have Jon Swayne pipes in D and G.

I try and play the pipes and Gurdy for the Leeds French Dance group Les Panards Dansants every month and I also am one of the organisers of their annual festival in October.

I'm still getting to grips with the gurdy - I recently had a whole set of tangents made by Neil Brook which have improved things no end. The original tangents were open at the back and kept splitting when tightened.

I find the forum / yahoo group very useful for getting advise - as I said to Ruth Bramley recently if I'd known how much maintenance they needed beforehand ... ! (although having said that, I've hopefully got to the top of that hill now, with the new tangents and strings).

Looking forward to the festival and the Blowout.

Snozz
snozz

Re: Hi from Snozz

Postby Euan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:50 pm

hello snozz. I was going to get an Abraxas too but I had the Rennaissance one already and Helmut seemed to be having health issues so I bought a Boireaud forom another forum member which is quite a challenge after the lovely Gotschy.
You tangents sound a bit weird. My Gotschy has solid post flag types and they are fine. Never had a problem . Had loads of problems with the Boireaud though and Mike Gilpin has helped no end there.
The sound that Richard Delfino gets on the website is geargeous though and that's what sold me on it. That someone of his stature was playing it and that the maker took the trouble to arrange it all speaks volumes. After all we all know what an Eaton sounds like don't we?
I climbed that hill of maintenance too and it sort of reaches a plateau of day to day routine stuff...that goodness!! After that its the trompette workshop nightmare!!!
Have fun with it. I also play melodeon for morris as well as several other instruments and teach guitar. Funny how we end up with Gurdies!
Euan

Postby ruthbramley » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:45 pm

I have a Gotschy Phoenix with the same sort of tangents as you describe, Snozz. I've only had one break in the past 8 years and still have a few spares. I think you just have to be careful not to over-tighten them or to try to move them without loosening the screws first.
Forthcoming gigs:
14 Oct - Steve Tilston, Ely Folk Club
18 Nov - James Hickman and Dan Cassidy, Ely Folk Club
5 Dec - ColvinQuarmby, Arkenstall Village Centre, Haddenham, Cambs
9 Dec - Dave Swarbrick, Ely Folk Club
ruthbramley

Postby snozz » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:35 pm

I'll give you a bag of about 40 more tangents at the Blowout then! ;)
snozz

Postby ruthbramley » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:22 pm

snozz wrote:I'll give you a bag of about 40 more tangents at the Blowout then! ;)

Thank you, Snozz. That would be great :)
Forthcoming gigs:
14 Oct - Steve Tilston, Ely Folk Club
18 Nov - James Hickman and Dan Cassidy, Ely Folk Club
5 Dec - ColvinQuarmby, Arkenstall Village Centre, Haddenham, Cambs
9 Dec - Dave Swarbrick, Ely Folk Club
ruthbramley

Return to Newcomers' introduction