hello from Roddy McKenzie

If you are new to the forum, please post a few lines about yourself here.

hello from Roddy McKenzie

Postby Euan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:12 am

Hailing from Norwich although originally from the Isle Of Seil in Argyll.
Had a Gotschy for two years now after Graham Whyte let me play his beauty at Kentwell hall although I had always fancied one. That attempt to play was me smitten.
Always played music. Played in bands from leaving school (1971) till the end of the eighties and still have the scars to prove it. Play melodeon for Morris (Golden Star) and anything else I can get my hands on. Teach guitar.
Do Kentwell recreation and play for Norwich Museum service now and then. Been trying to get a small band together but as we all know it isn't easy.
So hello to you all (some of you, again) and see you on the circuit sometime.
Roddy (aka Euan)
Euan

Re: hello from Roddy McKenzie

Postby ruthbramley » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi Roddy. Will Golden Star be dancing at Ely Folk Festival again this year? I'm sure we have met, but I'm trying to put the face to the name... I knew Mark Jones and danced with him many times at the Norwich folk festival that happened for a few years. My younger son is very involved in the Norwich music scene, having done a music degree at UEA. He's now playing with a band called Killamonjambo who are based in Norwich.
Forthcoming gigs:
14 Oct - Steve Tilston, Ely Folk Club
18 Nov - James Hickman and Dan Cassidy, Ely Folk Club
5 Dec - ColvinQuarmby, Arkenstall Village Centre, Haddenham, Cambs
9 Dec - Dave Swarbrick, Ely Folk Club
ruthbramley

Postby Euan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:47 pm

Hello Ruth

Yes probably. I was one of the two musicians ( I played the whole route) who did the Nine Daies event in 2000 with Mark as one of the dancers. I thonk Mark did it on 14 pints of beer a day. He is very much missed.
I don't think we are doing Ely. We have not had an invite for two years now and went to Harwich weekend instead. I mainly dance now with Golden Star. There are too many musicians (used to be only two of us at one time) so its a bit cocophanous for me.
Just back from a Wiltshire tour. Played at Shaftsbury (watch for pictures on the web of a gurdy player on Gold Hill in tails top hat and bow tie...what a sight) Longleat and Lacock Abbey and village. Lovely easter weekend. Playing Gurdy and dancing with The Bunnies From Hell. Great fun. Too much whiskey though. Lacock would be abrilliant place to do solo busking. The number of people who talked to me about Gurdies was amazing.
See you around perhaps.
Roddy
Euan

Postby ruthie » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:06 pm

Hello Roddy,
i used to do kentwell! i only did it for a few years but my mum and sister still do. they're ussually at the chandlers. we've met you're morris team a few times too, were you there years and years ago when we stayed at the Nepolionic fort at Rochester? is it Nepolionic? i always want to call it neopolitan but i'm pretty sure thats ice cream.

Ruthie x
ruthie

Postby Euan » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:07 pm

neopolitan sounds good. Wolf's head and vixen weekend no? Rocky Horror gear? Yep I was there!!! Scarey isn't it
Euan

Return to Newcomers' introduction