Hello from Kent

If you are new to the forum, please post a few lines about yourself here.

Hello from Kent

Postby clifford » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Hi All.
I'm Clifford and live near Maidstone in Kent. I'm an amature luthier and folk musician. I've just got back from Sidmouth Folk Festival where I attended a Hurdy Gurdy workshop with Cliff Stapleton. I was absolutely captivated by both the sound and workings of the instrument, so much so that I am now determined to make my own and learn to play it.
I'd love to meet up for a chat with any other enthusiasts in the Kent area so please get in touch if you can help me learn more about this amazing instrument.
Clifford.
clifford

Re: Hello from Kent

Postby WaterPig Master » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:52 am

Hi Clifford,

Welcome to the forum!

If I hadn't been in Germany during sidmouth I would have seen you there, probably. Do you think you'll be going next year? The amount of gurdies that turn up there seems to increase steadily year by year!

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Re: Hello from Kent

Postby RussB » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Clifford, I'm a fairly new forum member (loitering in the background for a while) and am based in Ashford, Kent. I'm embarking on a Graeme McCormack style build after being inspired by forum members and my father in law who I work with on the weekends repairing brass and woodwind instruments. He went back to College 3 years ago, in his early seventies to learn brass and woodwind repair and is now just finishing a violin making and repairing course (he completed 3 years in 2). I have never been near a Hurdy Gurdy and would love to, crafting and repairing instruments is now well and truly in the blood, would be very interested to find out how your Gurdy making has progressed :)

Russ

clifford wrote:Hi All.
I'm Clifford and live near Maidstone in Kent. I'm an amature luthier and folk musician. I've just got back from Sidmouth Folk Festival where I attended a Hurdy Gurdy workshop with Cliff Stapleton. I was absolutely captivated by both the sound and workings of the instrument, so much so that I am now determined to make my own and learn to play it.
I'd love to meet up for a chat with any other enthusiasts in the Kent area so please get in touch if you can help me learn more about this amazing instrument.
Clifford.
RussB

Return to Newcomers' introduction