Guitar gurdy for sale, just in time for Gurdyfest!

Gurdies for sale! Buy or sell your hurdy-gurdy, or wise up here before buying anything.
Please read the buyer's guide stickie before posting or responding in this section!

Guitar gurdy for sale, just in time for Gurdyfest!

Postby Lizards » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Get yourself a new gurdy in time for Derbyshire!

Guitar bodied gurdy made by Nick Jones (no, not the folk singer!) in Lincolnshire in 1982, partly rebuilt by AJ Butterworth in 2000.
I'm selling it because I had the opportunity to acquire a Chris Eaton instrument last Autumn, and thus don't play both, and prefer it to have a life of its own. And I need the space!

It has 2 chanterelles, an octave apart, and usual G mouche, C & G low drones, and trompette string tuned to either D or C. There are three sympathetic strings.
It has traditional tuning pegs, and a tourne-a-gauche handle.

It has a better tone than some I've heard which cost more than I'm asking!

It comes with a good professionally made fibreglass case, in white, with black lining.

Gurdy from right.jpg
Gurdy in its case
Gurdy from right.jpg (179.26 KiB) Viewed 3023 times

Nick Jones built a number of instruments of different sorts, enough to have his own label printed. It is very nicely made.
If I remember aright,I believe the design owes something to Samuel Palmer.
Andrew Butterworth, who teaches instrument making, including gurdies, at West Dean College then took it up, improved a few aspects of the engineering, and re-built the keyboard. He also fitted the sympathetic strings.

It has an unusual carved head - the only gurdy with a moustache I've seen!
Gurdy head carving.jpg
The head
Gurdy head carving.jpg (178.81 KiB) Viewed 2983 times

I've played it very happily for English Heritage events, at Kenilworth and Carlisle Castles among others, and various museums too.

Known issues:
It had developed a tiny looseness in the axle, which is newly sorted, and behaves perfectly well there now.

The wood in the tuning head is a little thinner than ideal, so you'll need to press down well on the top chanter tuning peg while you're working with it. But that's easily learned, and once it's there, it stays stable.

It's currently set up in GC which it likes. When I bought it, I ran it in DG, which it takes well enough, but needed careful maintenance to work up there. ( But then so did my Eaton instrument, which I brought back down to GC too!)

The price is £1500 including the case. At the Ramsgate Buzz last Autumn I was advised by two very respected people there, one a top player, one an well-known excellent maker, on price. One thought I ought to ask more...

Think that's everything.

I plan to post some more pics tomorrow, either here or on my own website.
Enquires are welcome!
Happy looking,
Richard.
Lizards

Re: Guitar gurdy for sale, just in time for Gurdyfest!

Postby Lizards » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:39 pm

I forgot to add - I expect a potential buyer to want to see and meet it first. I'm in Northampton, and very willing to arrange for you to come & have a play.
Richard.
Lizards

Re: Guitar gurdy for sale, just in time for Gurdyfest!

Postby Lizards » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:42 pm

As promised, a page of more information & pics is now up at http://www.richard-york.co.uk/salepage.html
Please see there if you're interested.
Best wishes,
Richard.
Lizards

Re: Guitar gurdy Sold

Postby Lizards » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:46 pm

A little after my hopeful and rather pushy "just in time for gurdy fest" original line :) I'm happy to say my guitar bodied gurdy is now sold, to an man who I'm sure is going to really get to grips with it.
I'm always happy when an instrument goes somewhere it'll stay alive, on the rare occasions I part with one!

Thanks for looking.

Best wishes,
Richard.
Lizards

Return to Marketplace