Hurdy Gurdy by Warrington

Gurdies for sale! Buy or sell your hurdy-gurdy, or wise up here before buying anything.
Please read the buyer's guide stickie before posting or responding in this section!

Hurdy Gurdy by Warrington

Postby psychotriav » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Don't know this maker, but the lutherie and timbers look superb. 6 string Henry style with sympathetics £1100.
http://www.pamelasmusic.co.uk/images/Fo ... Vod134.htm
psychotriav

Re: Hurdy Gurdy by Warrington

Postby Lizards » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:55 pm

Terry Warrington, in Peterborough. French Dance music enthusiast, with his wife Florence, and artistic maker of many instruments, mainly folk.
I've been using some instruments he made for my schools workshops (fiddle, psaltery, cittern) for years now & they've stood up remarkably well. They had one or two engineering surprises, but they have worked well & have been subjected to lots of children.
I can't speak for his gurdy engineering, as I haven't played one of his for ages. Visually , it's typical Terry - very nice to look at indeed.
I believe he goes regularly to the Ketton sessions, near Stamford, if you want to meet the maker!
We rarely get there, I regret, but the last circular I got reads:

Friday 19th Nov
Ketton French Dance is back in the Northwick Arms this coming Friday 19th November. Andrew, the landlord, and a great cook, is serving meals from 6 onwards. Maybe see you then and join us.

Northwick Arms, High Street, Ketton PE9 3TA
8 – 9 pm Dance tuition. 9 – 11 pm Bal
Traditional French dancing - Waltz, Mazurka, Schottische, Bourree etc.
Dancers and musicians of any level always welcome. We normally have up to 10 musicians, 40 dancers and others who like to just come and watch. Help is always on hand so just come and listen or try it out.

Best of luck,
Richard.
Lizards

Postby Scott Marshall » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Who was around making Hurdy-gurdies in the 70's -early 80's in the UK? I have heard of Sam Palmer, Terry Warrington, Bernard Ellis, Gerald Adams, it would be an interested thread, especially with photos
Scott Marshall

Postby Lizards » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:32 pm

The very same.
He still lives in Peterborough, and as far as I know has been there all along. He & Flo also used to play folk/early music a lot - I think they concentrate more on the French now.
When I was first buying a gurdy, I visited Terry to look at his, which is how he came to make my other instruments for schools work. The cittern in particular is a work of art to look at, with smashing dark wood strips between wider pale ones on the back, and a small Tudor rose on the head.

I ended up buying an Andy Butterworth Henri III style, which isn't as beautifully decorated as Terry's pictured one, although the engineering is good, and it still goes and sounds very well some 16 or more years later after much travelling round in many and various climates!

All ye best,
Richard.
Lizards

Postby conradin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:20 am

I am in the process of purchasing it. Paid a partial sum already, and will take delivery of it at the end of the month. I will let you all know how it plays. This is also going be a starter instrument for my partner, for that price, it is pretty good. For me, I am saving up for an eventual electro-acoustic instrument.
Tu fai bene che dove máca la natura bisogna che larte sia maestra
--Silvestro Ganassi del Fontego (Opera Intitulata Fontegara, Venise, 1535)
conradin

Return to Marketplace