Guitar-bodied HG on ebay UK

Gurdies for sale! Buy or sell your hurdy-gurdy, or wise up here before buying anything.
Please read the buyer's guide stickie before posting or responding in this section!

Guitar-bodied HG on ebay UK

Postby halpin_bridget » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:53 am

This is a lovely looking guitar-bodied gurdy on ebay UK made by C A P Mc Neilly (an instrument maker based in Kent) and is 20 years old:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hurdy-Gurdy-/1704 ... 27b25dd870
halpin_bridget

Re: Guitar-bodied HG on ebay UK

Postby WaterPig Master » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:30 pm

"Valued at £600" - Hmmm! :|
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Postby halfies » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:38 pm

Yes Barnaby. After me ur first!
Marj :-)
halfies

Postby halpin_bridget » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Now, now, no fighting! ;)
But is a value of GBP 600 realistic, I wonder? Sounds a bit low. Hope Scott, Neil et al post a reply.
halpin_bridget

Postby Scott Marshall » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:42 am

I haven't heard of the maker before, but I have been bidding, it would be good to have a loaner instrument for the festival :)
Scott Marshall

Postby Scott Marshall » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:15 pm

Is anyone else suspicious of the two zero bidders pushing the price up on this? :shock: LOL
Scott Marshall

Postby halfies » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:06 pm

Hmmm, yes, very strange and suspicious is that, Scott but we have no clues either.

BTW we were only kidding Barnaby above, about Marj' bidding, we have no such intentions of course. Yes we need another Gurdy, even a little one, to make our pair, but plans for that have been afoot for some while and we are just waiting ............. as y'do !

Good luck Scott, we will watch with fingers crossed for you.

'best

Rob and Marj'
halfies

Postby Scott Marshall » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:19 pm

I have given up since I saw the possible shill bidding thing, I can't be bothered. Also someone else seems a bit too keen! What gurdy do you have on order halfies?
Scott Marshall

Postby WaterPig Master » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi there,

Halfies - are you planning on going through with the wren? You seemed pretty impresses with it at the festival, and it's an attractive choice for an instrument.

I was actually "hmmm"ing in a dubious way... if it's valued at £600, is it worth it, really? The next gurdy I plan on owning will be one of my own make! And if i was going to buy, I'd rather pay proper money for a new gurdy from a trusted maker. Speaking of which - is the chap who made this one any good? I've never heard of him before... He seems to be a pipe maker more than a luthier.

I have sometimes been tempted by the broken instruments that crop up every now and again - I'm more likely to go for one of those, once I've had a go at repairing the 2 mandolins, violin, electric guitar and ukulele that are currently inhabiting the less well dusted areas of my bedroom as practise ;)

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Postby halfies » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:11 am

Hi again Scott,

Well, yes, we have to admit, a Wren actually. There are several really good, very friendly and helpful makers even just here in in England, and we love and prefer the traditional instruments. But the really compact and sweet sounding Wren suits our needs perfectly at an attractive price, and we ordered one a while ago with just one or two extras over basic (well more truthfully, three or four I suppose!)

We felt a little shy about it so had rather kept it to ourselves.

'best

Rob and Marj'
halfies

Next

Return to Marketplace