Very old lute-back gurdy on ebay France

Gurdies for sale! Buy or sell your hurdy-gurdy, or wise up here before buying anything.
Please read the buyer's guide stickie before posting or responding in this section!

Very old lute-back gurdy on ebay France

Postby halpin_bridget » Mon May 31, 2010 8:49 am

Seller doesn't give any information as to who made the HG but says its 19th C or earlier:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/vielle-a-roue-ancien ... 4aa1b98652
halpin_bridget

Re: Very old lute-back gurdy on ebay France

Postby halfies » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:07 pm

We do appreciate you posting all of these auction finds Bridget.
We find them a fascinating way of enlarging our general knowledge of Gurdies (and their values) when we peruse the pictures etc. Wish we were better able to grasp French and German language though.

This old Luteback has, not surprisingly, attracted a lot of attention. If only these instruments could relate stories of their past life, this one could tell many tales by the look of it, beautiful.

As for the new Blue one by Claire Dugue, we have been itching to know the story behind that too.

It is hard not to suffer multiple attacks of 'Wishitis' even given our luck in having a really nice instrument already !

Thanks again and best wishes from Rob and Marj'
halfies

Postby halpin_bridget » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Hallo Rob and Marj,
Whenever I get a quiet moment at work I have a look at what's up for auction on ebay and I especially enjoy searching ebay France to see if there are any hurdy gurdies on there or other hurdy gurdy items such as old postcards with hurdy gurdy players on them. It would be great if old instruments could tell us about their "lives" and experiences, that would be fascinating.
Strangely enough whoever is selling the beautiful Claire Dugue gurdy doesn't say why, they mention that it's completely new and unused - very odd.
Hope you're both still enjoying your hurdy gurdying.
Regards,
Bridget
halpin_bridget

Postby Scott Marshall » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:20 am

Bridget, I find it really helpful that you are the gurdy detective on ebay too :) I can never find anything on eBay France, I should have paid more attention to Madame Bennett at school.

One thing that does help a bit it Google Translate ( http://translate.google.com/#auto|en| ), though it is funny at times:

http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... auto&tl=en
Scott Marshall

Postby WaterPig Master » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:28 am

I too appreciate the Ebay searching! I've seen many interesting gurdies that way.

Google's translation system is funny, but not quite as funny as their new feature on youtube - Audio Transcription! It might only be available on the HTML5 version, but it tries to figure out what you're saying and display it as a caption. It comes up with some stupid stuff! It thought I was saying "And smallpox which changes everything" on one of my Symphonie videos!

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Postby WaterPig Master » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:31 am

I'm wondering what the wingnuts below the head are for... there's the usual button for strap attachment, why the wingnuts?

Thanks,
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

Postby Scott Marshall » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:24 pm

WaterPig Master wrote:I'm wondering what the wingnuts below the head are for... there's the usual button for strap attachment, why the wingnuts?

Thanks,
Barnaby

Wingnuts = amateur repair?
Scott Marshall

Postby WaterPig Master » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Wingnuts = amateur repair?

That's certainly a possibility... although I dread to think what they were trying to repair!
WaterPig Master

Postby gurdymaker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:20 am

I'd like to add my appreciation too - It's great to see these old instruments and try to get inside the head of the builder. I reckon those wingnuts could have been installed as either support for a marching music stand or maybe the gurdy was the centre of a one man band with all the bolt on bits that needs.
gurdymaker

Return to Marketplace