ebay ems symphony

Gurdies for sale! Buy or sell your hurdy-gurdy, or wise up here before buying anything.
Please read the buyer's guide stickie before posting or responding in this section!

ebay ems symphony

Postby Scott Marshall » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:25 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Medieval-Chromati ... dZViewItem

you would be better buying a Brook or Allen one though
Scott Marshall

Re: ebay ems symphony

Postby Euan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:34 am

please do not buy one. I have one and paid very little for it. If I had paid the full price from EMS I would have been furious.
Needs a lot of fettling to get a sound and its not a great sound then. I am trying different strings now but the wheel is so badly out of true that a new wheel is really the only answer.
Also the pegs are too brittle so I have fitted violin ones.
The bridges do not exist. They are replaced by a single bar (across the whole box) with notches cut out for the strings. On mine the nut does not move (yes single nut for both chanters) as it is glued in place. In spite of that it is tunable. The sound if quiet and acceptable after string changes/adjustments. I have octave chanters fitted and the sound is now mellow and good for practicing.
No trompette although it can be argued whether there ought to be one anyway for the period.
The finish is too mirror like. Sort of like a dining table or sideboard.
One thing that is good however is the key action. Surprisingly good considering the rest. Shame the rest falls down when the difficult bit to get right is quite well done.
So get one only if you get one cheap. For LESS money (than the EMS shop) you can get a Chris Allen which has got to be a better start. For not a lot more a Neil Brook or Helmut Gotschy both of which are fantastic instruments. Helmuts one is historically accurate too (trompette willing).
I have no axe to grind just trying to be helpful to potential new players.
Euan

Re: ebay ems symphony

Postby Scott Marshall » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Thanks for that Euan, over the years I have heard nothing but bad reports about EMS instruments, sadly it seems to be where alot of people end up buying their first gurdy. Having owned symphonies from both Chris Allen and Neil Brook (all be it briefly) I would heartily recommend them.
Scott Marshall

Return to Marketplace