Adjustment of the Chien/Trompette bridge

This is the place for hurdy-gurdy techie talk.

Adjustment of the Chien/Trompette bridge

Postby Lizards » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:38 pm

Hi all.
My lovely Eaton gurdy came with a nice loud trompette, which Nigel, at the October Ramsgate Buzz, further adjusted, with the aid of a razor blade, so it's now super-sensitive.
And it's great for when I want a real blast. But sometimes I want a quieter less dominant buzz, so when I found another chien in the case, nearly finished, of maybe slightly heavier wood, I used that smashing three-language maintenance book to work on it. To my relief it's OK, and quieter, but it's not as fast to respond.
It also sticks out more at the end furthest from the centre of the instrument, where the louder one is more slanted down this has more of a rectangular end in profile. I hope this makes sense!

The book says if I shave/sand it down just under the "hinge" point it will be more "responsive".
Please can anyone who's tried this tell me if this means faster, or louder, or both? It's a lovely chien, and I don't want to waste a good'un by simply making it as loud as the other!

Any advice welcome, please.

Thanks,
Richard.
Lizards

Re: Adjustment of the Chien/Trompette bridge

Postby gurdymaker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:57 pm

The volume of the chien is the result of many factors but given 2 identical chiens, reducing the mass of one will make it quieter without affecting it's sensitivity. Don't wreck those you have, simply make a few more to experiment with. Another option is to keep your loud chien there and stick a pound coin or similar weight close to the foot with blu tack. Moving it further away will increase the volume as required.
gurdymaker

Re: Adjustment of the Chien/Trompette bridge

Postby Lizards » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Thanks Neil,
I'll try the pound coin, then!
And I am still tempted to try to improve the second chien - it wasn't finished when it came, and I had to fine down on the "fin" part a bit to make it fit at all. I wonder if taking a bit more off the end furthest from the instrument centre might quieten it down, making it lighter.
If I do, I'll take a tiny bit only at a time, promise!

And indeed I really ought to learn to make my own from scratch. There's the little matter of appropriate tools and skill, of course....

Best wishes,
Richard.
Lizards

Return to Building and maintenance