Vintage British Hurdy-gurdies

Vintage British Hurdy-gurdies

Postby Scott Marshall » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:14 pm

A bit trainspotterish, :ugeek: :mrgreen: , but following on from a discussion in the marketplace section here is a thread for photographs of pre 1990 British Hurdy-gurdies.
Scott Marshall

Re: Vintage British Hurdy-gurdies

Postby Scott Marshall » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Gerald Adams Hurdy Gurdy made in 1980
adams hg2small.jpg
adams hg2small.jpg (43.59 KiB) Viewed 5806 times
Scott Marshall

Postby psychotriav » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:13 pm

G/C Guitarback Hurdy Gurdy by Bernard Ellis

I’ve been working on this restoration for what seems ages now [ask my wife!] I didn’t know the maker when I purchased it in a very sorry state: no handle, broken bridges, dire wheel and bearing train, no trompette etc. I then spotted an almost identical instrument for sale on EBay USA a couple of years ago and after corresponding with the vendor, determined it was most likely by Ellis. Scale length is 350mm with no room for adjustment[early ideas for nut adjusters weren’t possible: bridge is very close to end of tailpiece]: walnut keybox and scroll, mahogany back, spruce soundboard, box and mahogany marquetry on keybox, wheelcover and tailpiece and keys in walnut with box and ebony ends. I’ve added sleeved metal tangents, trompette , sympathetics and chanterelle isolator/lifter.
Stringing has been a devil to get right: despite replacing all internal strutting and soundposts with more stolid members, it is still overly resonant and exhibits roaring at anything over 28 thou for the unison chanterelles. Consequently, trompette is at 25thou and bourdons are now quieter by using synthetic gut. The sound is now relatively balanced and the keybox fast and light. It's a very stable instrument and seems unaffected by temperature or humidity variations.

Steve
Attachments
DSCF2906.JPG
DSCF2906.JPG (28.54 KiB) Viewed 5765 times
psychotriav

Postby Scott Marshall » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Bernard Ellis

Thanks Steve, that is really interesting, shame about the keybox roar on the instrument have you tried the lead weight fix Neil Brook suggested on the forum a while back?

BTW There is a tribute website to Bernard Ellis here: http://freespace.virgin.net/meg.ellis/

Hurdy-gurdies here: http://freespace.virgin.net/meg.ellis/
Scott Marshall

Postby psychotriav » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi Scott,

Yep, tried that. gave some relief but I think the fundamental problem is that the soundboard is too thin by about 2mm. Next solution is probably to make it thicker under the bridge area but a pig of a job!
Steve
psychotriav

Postby Scott Marshall » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Steve,
I had a problem with my g/c guitar hg where the trompete was too loud, maybe because the top was thin in that area. Under advice from the maker, it was solved by glueing a 1" square 3mm thick piece of sycamore wood under that spot.
To do this a small hole was drilled in top in the slot of the trompette/mouche bridge, where it would not be seen. A piece of strong linen thread was fed down through this hole and out through the soundhole.The square of wood for the repair had a hole in the center, the thread went through this with a knot at the back, I put some Titebond glue on the wood square, put it through the soundhole and pulled it up under the trompette bridge, holding tight for five-ten minutes. It really helped, that instrument still really 'sings' on the chanterelles, but is now more balanced on the trompette volume.

Maybe you could do something similar under your main bridge? :)

Back to the topic of older British HG's, I know someone who has a Warrington and will ask for pics.
Scott Marshall

Postby Scott Marshall » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:11 pm

Sam Palmer

Sam posted a few excellent photographs on the Yahoo group last year, here they are:

HurdyGurdy+lute+backs+in+workshop+(+1979).jpg
HurdyGurdy+lute+backs+in+workshop+(+1979).jpg (41.4 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
HurdyGurdy+guitar+backs+in+workshop+(+1981+).jpg
HurdyGurdy+guitar+backs+in+workshop+(+1981+).jpg (29.29 KiB) Viewed 5919 times
Ray+Attfield`s++Medieval+Hurdy+Gurdy.jpg
Ray+Attfield`s++Medieval+Hurdy+Gurdy.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 6184 times
Scott Marshall

Postby Scott Marshall » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:17 pm

1989 Terry Warrington with double row keybox the bottom row allowed chords to be played. I think this instrument is now in Japan.
warrington.jpg
warrington.jpg (31.79 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
warrington2.jpg
warrington2.jpg (24.74 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
Scott Marshall

Postby Scott Marshall » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Sam Palmer

A couple of photographs of a Sam Palmer lute-back Ray Attfield posted on the Yahoo group last year:
sp1.jpg
sp1.jpg (35.76 KiB) Viewed 5695 times
sp2.jpg
sp2.jpg (14.66 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
Scott Marshall

Postby Scott Marshall » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:05 pm

I just saw another Adams HG here is a photo:
adams luteback.jpg
adams luteback.jpg (31.93 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
Scott Marshall

Next