Hurdy Gurdy Photo Thread

Re: Hurdy Gurdy Photo Thread

Postby WaterPig Master » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Alright, I know this is a Hurdy Gurdy thread and forum - but here are some (quickly taken, will do better soon) pictures of my finished Mountain Dulcimer: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/9220294/2/Instruments/Dulcimer%204?h=c1d9f3. Solid walnut with ebony bindings and handcut mother of pearl inlays on the fretboard.

I'm going commercial now - if anyone wants one, feel free to ask ;)

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Postby halpin_bridget » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:37 pm

@ Rob and Marj' - Well, all I can say is "wow!" and thanks for sharing all those detailed photos of your new arrival with us. The picture of the Wren and Rosie is great - don't they make a lovely couple?

@ Barnaby - You never fail to constantly amaze me with all your hobbies and talents (she says getting greener by the second!). The pictures of your dulcimer are wonderful. It looks like a very well finished instrument. Will you be bringing it along to the the GurdyFest next year?

@ Neil - Thanks for filling me in on the glass cleaning stuff and warning that it's not a good idea to use it on French polished surfaces!

Regards,

Bridget
halpin_bridget

Postby halfies » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Barnaby,

May not be a Gurdy, but love the pics of your Mountain Dulcimer, nice one, and thanks for showing us. Would love to hear it.

Best Wishes as ever

Rob and Marj'
halfies

Postby halfies » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Re the pics of our two Gurdies above you might recall that we once rathr shyly mentioned that we called the luteback, 'Rosie' (well, y'know as yer do !).

We thought to be less childish with the Wren and just refer to it as 'The Wren' although we did consider various names, including 'Roxie'.

The other day, when the weather was terribly hot and humid and very much a 'Non-friendly to Gurdies Day' we got a bit fed up muddling around trying to get everything to sound right until in sheer exasperation we found ourselves referring to

'Poxy Roxie' and 'Posy Rosie'

and there it seems to have kind of stuck, ...'Rosie' and 'Roxie'.

Ah well........... at least they are both playing fine right now.

Rob and Marj'
halfies

Postby Scott Marshall » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:31 pm

Denise put a couple of pics up of her new Wren over here : http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/HurdyG ... 20&dir=asc
Scott Marshall

Postby Lizards » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:05 pm

Quick flash pics of my Eaton Elf Hurdy Gurdy
Elf Gurdy.jpg
Elf Gurdy.jpg (38.41 KiB) Viewed 3232 times

complete with a lovely carving of an Elf at the head:
Gurdy Elf.jpg
Gurdy Elf.jpg (74.31 KiB) Viewed 3220 times

I feel that I should have pictured it, her, much more elegantly and artistically among oak, ash, thorn, etc., but it's too soggy and dark outside at present.
The instrument was made for Jake Walton in Cornwall, and the Elf was a special commission for him. And I rather like her!
Like hurdy gurdies in general, she definitely appears to have a strong and possibly petulant will.
Now I just need another lifetime to learn to do anything like justice to setting up properly and playing!
Best wishes,
Richard.
Lizards

Postby halpin_bridget » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi Richard,
Thanks for sharing your "Elf" gurdy with us - she looks wonderful (and I bet she sound wonderful, too!).
Could you post a detailed picture of the capo you have - looks very interesting.
Cheers!
Bridget :P
halpin_bridget

Postby Lizards » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks Bridget,
I'll happily do that, but it'll have to wait - busy just now, out at work all day tomorrow. Sorry!
There are two Capo... er, what's the plural of capo? capoes?...one for the lower drone, one for the trompette. I didn't complain :)
Best wishes,
Richard.
Lizards

Postby Scott Marshall » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:18 pm

Really nice pictures Richard!
Scott Marshall

Postby denqua » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:13 pm

Dugue Lute Back
I bought the Dugue last October. First saw it for sale at Towersey Folk Festival on a music stall. (Not Claire's) It was being sold for a friend of the owner of the stall and was priced rather high!!! Sadly, way out of my price range!!!
Two weeks later, it appeared on Ebay, had no bidders, and was withdrawn. Two weeks after that it was back on Ebay at a lowered reserve and I bought it!!!
Neil Brook Wren (The Birdy Gurdy).
The first Wren I saw was on You tube and I really liked it. Ordered mine in January this year and picked it up last week! It's loud, great to play and very pretty!! Love it!!!
Denise.
Attachments
Birdy Gurdy 1.jpg
Neil Brook Wren (The Birdy Gurdy). G/C
Birdy Gurdy 1.jpg (103.01 KiB) Viewed 3159 times
Dugue Gurdy.jpg
Dugue Lute Back G/D
Dugue Gurdy.jpg (26.24 KiB) Viewed 3154 times
denqua

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery