Hurdy Gurdy Photo Thread

Re: Hurdy Gurdy Photo Thread

Postby halfies » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:33 pm

Just a quick one, then back to the photo thread !!!
Thanks Barnaby, We're v. impressed!! Super website as well.
When do you do your homew.... er.......... sorry, ...get any sleep?

Best, Marj and Rob
halfies

Postby Scott Marshall » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:45 am

Another pic of the Chris Allen guitar back in g/c
ca21.jpg
ca21.jpg (63.17 KiB) Viewed 4391 times
Click on the image to see the whole thing!
Scott Marshall

Postby WaterPig Master » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi there,

Ok, finally got round to it (I had both the instrument and the camera out from taking some photos of a peg replacement job for future reference, and I thought I may as well do an entire shoot!)

Here they are: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/9220294/2/Instruments/Symphonie?h=fec190

That should be publicly viewable - but I'm new to dropbox, so it might not be. Hust let me know if it isn't and I'll fix.

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Postby halpin_bridget » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:39 am

Hi Barnaby,
Fantastic detail shots of your lovely symphony, thanks!
And I can see you're already an expert at cottoning - it looks perfect :P .
Bridget
halpin_bridget

Postby WaterPig Master » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:47 am

And I can see you're already an expert at cottoning - it looks perfect

Really? Oh, good! I was worried it wasn't winding it's self on right... I am rather pleased that I've had it 3 months and it's still sounding all right. I'm still experimenting with how much rosin I like to put on - I love the crisp sound you can get with just a little 'too much' on, but it does drive the upper octave into squeakyness! Better than not having enough and getting a horribly weak sound though - they're supposed to be loud ;)

Thanks,
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

Postby halfies » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:08 pm

So as of yesterday we no longer have to share a Gurdy at Workshops and can play together on Gurdies at home etc.
Thankyou Neil for our delightful new D/G Wren to play alongside our D/G Luteback. Yes, we do feel very lucky.

Regards and Best Wishes to all

Rob and Marj'
Attachments
IMG_0830 - ed - e.jpg
IMG_0830 - ed - e.jpg (372.66 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
IMG_0828 - ed - e.jpg
Two's Company
IMG_0828 - ed - e.jpg (614.56 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
halfies

Postby WaterPig Master » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:51 pm

OOOO! That's the nicest looking wren I've seen so far. Perhaps yours will be a bit more mellow in sound than the ones at the festival... :? they were Loud, but harsh! Impressive nonetheless. Good to see you've got it! It must have come quite quickly then?

Thanks,
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

Postby gurdymaker » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi Bridget
Window cleaner is great for shining up synthetic finishes. It may damage French Polish though so a test needs to be done on an inconspicuous area. It isn't the wood itself which is made shiny - that needs a wax polish .
Cheers
Neil
BTW, I succumbed to Damian Brasher's ebay offering so it will probably be up and running in the next few weeks - new wheel / axle, keys/tangents needed but that's normal fora really old gurdy. Damian reckoned 1840 and I think it's at least that old. It's interesting that this is the first one I've come across with a tapering keybox so the lower end is less wide than the wheel end . This means the keys are not only all different widths and thickness, they are also different lengths !
Cheers
gurdymaker

Postby halfies » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:28 pm

WaterPig Master wrote:OOOO! That's the nicest looking wren I've seen so far. Perhaps yours will be a bit more mellow in sound than the ones at the festival... :? they were Loud, but harsh! Impressive nonetheless. Good to see you've got it! It must have come quite quickly then?

Thanks,
Barnaby

Hi Barnaby and thanks.

We are very happy with the sound though it is slightly 'different' to the Luteback of course.

There are so many variables affecting the sound aren't there. Room acoustics, instrument home keys, type of string, amount and type of cottoning, amount and type of rosin, and in particular as you know, String Pressure. The Wren, which Neil says is particularly sensitive to humidity changes, has the wonderful adjustable bridge as you see on the pic here. An excellent idea which works really well in adjusting string pressure. Sadly it is not possible to retro fit to other gurdies as the soundboard strutting is not suitable it seems, so for them it's still the infamous paper shims.

Neil often plays Irish style music and no doubt his Wrens are set up accordingly.

Yes we were lucky over delivery period which in the end amounted to just under 6 months as someone else was obliged to drop out and we moved up the list a bit.

Loved your Symphony pics by the way, great stuff, and a super instrument. You are obviously getting along very well with it.

Best Wishes

Rob and Marj'
Attachments
IMG_0856 - ed - e.jpg
Adjustable Bridge on Neil Brook Wren
IMG_0856 - ed - e.jpg (242.23 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
halfies

Postby WaterPig Master » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 pm

Adjustable bridges are handy things indeed - used a lot on archtop instruments, and fit the gurdy perfectly because of the whole string pressure thing!

One of the interesting things about hurdy gurdies is that they rarely sound similar - every maker, every model, every set up - ultimately, most players, sound completely different! One of the best things about them, I think. So much variety and potential!

Thanks,
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

PreviousNext

Return to Gallery