Gurdy Tab System

Hurdy-gurdy tunes, playing tips and advice, sheet music and books

Gurdy Tab System

Postby Scott Marshall » Sun May 03, 2009 8:02 pm

Idea for a gurdy tab system (open string is 0) :

Scott Marshall

Re: Gurdy Tab System

Postby CeciliaKM » Mon May 04, 2009 2:13 pm

Ok, it's my take, partly as a response to our off-list conversation with Richard Haynes.
Featuring:
1. One single line of melody, the flats marked by putting a circle around them, something that is quite easy to reproduce in handwriting or in word processing.

2.Numbering , where we agree that the open string is the prime, and then the first key is the second note and so on (primo, secondo, terzo, etc.). I think it is good because it does relate to something that is commonplace in music, i.e. the intervals, and why not offer a system, which then can be related later on to traditional music ideas if somebody (like our Mark Hewitt on the forum) decides to study music theory.

3. Continually growing numbers after reaching the octave, this is also consistent with the traditional interval system (nona, decima, etc.)

4.I have been experimenting with different staves and tabs, I wanted less lines and better visuality. I accidentally came across with this tenor banjo tab, which is not only 4 lines, but Sibelius actually puts in the rhythm in a very simplistic form as you type the numbers. It's a good use of stick notation and again very easy to reproduce in handwriting or even in word-processing.

Cecilia
Scarborough.jpg
Scarborough.jpg (223.11 KiB) Viewed 2817 times
Branle des Chevaux.jpg
Branle des Chevaux.jpg (629.95 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
Cecilia

"si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"
"ha hallgattál volna, bölcs maradtál volna"
"if only you had kept quiet you would have remained wise"
CeciliaKM
Site Admin

Postby CeciliaKM » Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm

I give it a try to attach those same files without embedding them, it's a bit hard to use.
Also, for those who don't read music at all a bit simpler explanation:
The open string is our first note in the scale, but due to the tab traditions we mark it with 0. (imagine it's a capital O for "open". Your first key on the bottom row (A or E respectively) is 2, the next is 3 and so on. In my system though, after 8 we don't return to 2', 3', etc. but use 9, 10, etc.
The top row keys get the same number as their higher pitched neighbours in the bottom row (refer to Scott's image) with a circle around to show the difference. (So you can have only 2 3 5 6 and 8 in circles.)
The rhythm is included in the tabbed notation, which together with the scores should make enough sense even for a beginner.
Attachments
Scarborough.jpg
Scarborough.jpg (223.11 KiB) Viewed 2812 times
Branle des Chevaux.jpg
Branle des Chevaux.jpg (629.95 KiB) Viewed 2797 times
Cecilia

"si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"
"ha hallgattál volna, bölcs maradtál volna"
"if only you had kept quiet you would have remained wise"
CeciliaKM
Site Admin

Re: Gurdy Tab / Cecilia's System

Postby Scott Marshall » Mon May 04, 2009 4:55 pm

so chromatic scale from open string to top note would look like:

0 (2) 2 (3) 3 4 (5) 5 (6) 6 7 (8) (9) 9 (10) 10 11 (12) 12 (13) 13 14 15

it goes a bit funny at the very top because of the missing F#

(on a g/c ) C major would look like 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Scott Marshall

Postby Scott Marshall » Tue May 05, 2009 11:01 pm

numbered like guitar fretboard
Scott Marshall

Postby organgrind » Wed May 06, 2009 10:46 pm

My Little CABBAGE

For the record, if there is one, I believe that numbering the diatonic notes ( the lower ones we all use the most) 0-14, with open G as 0, would be a natural and intuitive approach and is the one that I personally have started to use when I jot things down. I represent sharps and flats (the upper set of keys) with the traditional signs of b and # underneath the note.

I would argue that the first key IS the first key, everybody would tend to think of it as the first key, and everyone ALWAYS has.

I cannot believe that there is anyone out there who would find 0 2 4 7 for the open string root chord and 3 5 7 10 for the 'other' chord beyond their ability to memorise in about 10 seconds flat, and once that is done for orientation purposes it is very easy to use and read. If you get confused jot it down on the side of the paper as a crib.

So, for C/G players anyway, I leave you with 3 1 2 2 1 0 5 or 'cabbage' as my final favourite musical word when getting children to find words on the piano. I wonder if there are any better longer words?

Regards to all

Richard.
organgrind

Return to Playing