So is a D-G instrument transposing?

Hurdy-gurdy tunes, playing tips and advice, sheet music and books

Re: So is a D-G instrument transposing?

Postby mjh » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Your key layout is just about right. The "lower" row of keys play the major scale for the tuning, so a G/C instrument locates the C major scale on the lower keys. This, of course, has not sharps or flats so is just like the white notes on a piano. A D/G instrument locates the G major scale on those keys, so you get one sharp - F-sharp - on that row.

The penultimate highest key in the D/G tuning can be tuned to C or C#, and on many (all?) instruments can be "bent" by finger pressure between these two, but you are very close to the wheel here so you are moving the string across the wheel surface noticably further in this way, changing its attack, wheel pressure and all sorts of other things that affect the quality of those high "dusty-end" notes.

Oh and one other thing - whether this transposition is a fourth or a fifth depends on which D chanterelle you are starting with compared to G.
mjh

Postby CeciliaKM » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:27 pm

mjh wrote:Your key layout is just about right.

Except that you never see your keys like that unless you play a transparent hurdy-gurdy. If I lean over the keybox, I see them upside down :D

Cecilia
Cecilia

"si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"
"ha hallgattál volna, bölcs maradtál volna"
"if only you had kept quiet you would have remained wise"
CeciliaKM
Site Admin

Postby mjh » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:44 pm

Hmm ... I have one of those minds that flips things around in 3d without really having a true sense of a fixed origin - comes from all those years of transferring circuit diagrams to circuit boards when I had time for a hobby ...

However, isn't this view just the a back of the keybox rather than the key plates?
mjh

Postby WaterPig Master » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Personally, I don't think it is a transposing instrument in the sense of a saxophone, etc. Mainly because on a Bb sax, Bb is learnt as the note C. On a gurdy, (like almost all folk instruments) d is learnt as d, etc. You could say "the D whistle is a transposing instrument because it is tuned in D" but I don't see it as one... and I don't think most people do.

I think I've got that right... feel free to ignore or correct me if I only think I know what transposing means...

Thanks.
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Previous

Return to Playing