Low Octave G - which side is best for you ?

Hurdy-gurdy tunes, playing tips and advice, sheet music and books

Low Octave G - which side is best for you ?

Postby halfies » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:58 pm

Using two Chanters on a low octave tuned G/C Gurdy which sides have been found best for you ?

Low Octave string on the Trompette side - or on the Bourdon side ? Any theories as to why ?

Thanks, ... and 'best to everyone

Rob and Marj'
halfies

Re: Low Octave G - which side is best for you ?

Postby Scott Marshall » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:08 pm

it s normally the trompette side
Scott Marshall

Postby halfies » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Many thanks Scott, duly noted.

We thought this might generate a lot more interest, even conflicting opinions, but it clearly is a topic of little import to most players.

'Too obvious, no point in discussing' (even if the Tangents do in effect push slightly one string 'on' and the other string 'off', the wheel).

Never mind, it was worth a try.

This very nice (and pleasant to use) Forum is a positive haven of peace compared with all the current goings on in the f'dangle of the Yahoo version isn't it ?

With best wishes

Rob and Marj'
halfies

Postby Scott Marshall » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:31 pm

I dont know why, but the lower string seems to be on the side nearest the player. I suppose it makes more difference to the maker for tangent synchronicity on set up that is is not swapped afterwards, but I have seen instruments strung the other way around.

Maybe Neil would know? All the d/g 's I have seen have been lower string trompette side, higher string bourdon side. It is an interesting question, and one I have wondered about too :)
Scott Marshall

Postby gurdymaker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:50 pm

I really must visit this site more often - so little time.
The low G is happy in either position on a traditionally built instrument. On my Wren models which have a different strutting system, there is more bass resonance on the drone side so the low string works best there.
gurdymaker

Return to Playing