Hurdy-gurdy tunes, playing tips and advice, sheet music and books

Re: Trompette technique, advice pleazzzzzzzzzzzze

Postby Scott Marshall » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Richard, how are the long buzzes going?
Scott Marshall

Postby Lizards » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:20 am

Sorry Scott,
I failed to spot this one for ages, as you'll realise.
The long buzzes are gradually getting better, thanks. I was distracted by other things, including work matters, for a couple of months, but am playing more again. I still wouldn't say they're always just there when I want, but better!
Thanks & best wishes,
Richard.
Lizards

Postby WaterPig Master » Sun May 22, 2011 8:53 pm

Hello all,

I've come up with quite a simple way of compensating for long buzzes! It's easier to explain in 'person' than through words, so I'll do a quick video on it and post when it's done.

Thanks,
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

Postby Lizards » Wed May 25, 2011 6:33 pm

I look forward to seeing it!
Happy buzzing,
Richard.
Lizards

Postby WaterPig Master » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:22 pm

Hello,

Okay, I've not been able to practise this technique, let alone make a video, as my trompette broke shortly after posting! I have now replaced it (and made an improved nut), and am getting this technique up to speed.

Until then, this is briefly how it works: In order to compensate for extra distance travelled on a long buzz of equal duration to a series of shorted buzzes, you offset the next buzzes by 1/2 (easier) or 1/4 (tricky!).

So, (numbering the coup de catre positions 1-4), say a long buzz takes 1 and 1/4 turns of the wheel, by the time I'm finished my hand is just past position 2. The easiest option is to start the next trompette pattern from position 3, effectively inverting the pattern. This is the easier version!

The more complex version involves a more controlled long buzz taking up 1 turn of the wheel, and the next trompette pattern is started at position 2. After another long buzz, the next pattern starts at position 3, etc.

See what I mean about more easy to show than describe? ;)

I have managed the more complex version with just the trompette, and I've just about got the simpler version with some tunes. I'm using this technique as an excuse to play entire tunes in 'inverted' position, and I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to use this offset buzzing as naturally as I can do long buzzes — but that's a way off yet…

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Previous

Return to Playing