Announcement: Gurdy ABC Website up and running

Hurdy-gurdy tunes, playing tips and advice, sheet music and books

Announcement: Gurdy ABC Website up and running

Postby WaterPig Master » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:01 pm

Hello there people

Well, an idea that I've had for a while has come to life. I've literally just finished off scripting the search scripts for my latest (and by no means finished) project - the WaterPigs Hurdy Gurdy Sheet Music project!

If you'd prefer to figure it out yourself, here it is:
http://www.waterpigs.co.uk/WPSM/

If you'd like an explanation: read on...

The WPSMDB is a collection of Hurdy Gurdy related ABCs (17 so far) that I have compiled. For the sake of ease, all of the ones so far have come from Neil Brooks' ABC collection - I've had to correct the odd thing, but thanks very much to him! There's an explanation of ABC on the website. So far it's mainly french, but I hope to get some more diverse content too.

So, have a look, and check back soon, it'll grow quickly!

End with a Plea: If you have any copyright free, royalty free gurdy related ABCs, please email/PM them to me! It would help greatly.

Thanks a lot,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Re: Announcement: Gurdy ABC Website up and running

Postby halpin_bridget » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 am

Fantastic site Barnaby! I dread to think how may hours work was spent on the site.
Your hurdy gurdy playing waterpig is great - thought about doing t-shirts yet?
Bridget :o)
halpin_bridget

Postby WaterPig Master » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:58 pm

Hi there

Fantastic site Barnaby!

Thanks!
I dread to think how may hours work was spent on the site.

Which part? The main site: I've been working on it for over a year now, in between schoolwork and instrument building. The Gurdy ABC bit? Must have taken about 6-7 hours to make from scratch. Still needs a bit of debugging, but is in working order!

[/quote]
Your hurdy gurdy playing waterpig is great - thought about doing t-shirts yet?
[/quote]

Thanks, I'm pleased with him. I've got some transfer paper lying around, I'll experiment. If my band ever do a performance, I'll make some t-shirts in that theme, playing various instruments.

Well, I'd better fix the error I found while demonstrating it to some friends...
Thanks,
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

Postby paulsherwood6 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:13 pm

Hi Barnaby

Well done getting this far. You seem to have put a lot of creativity and technical know-how into the site, and your projects in general ... that's a good combination and I look forward to seeing what you get up to!

You are welcome to take anything you like from my files on livetunebook, certainly I don't object to you or anyone else taking advantage of the modest effort I have invested. Since your site concentrates on non-copyright material I suggest you pick the ones which have "Trad" or similar as composer. If there is a tune there without a composer feel free to ask me what I know about it, and I'd be interested in knowing the attribution of all the music there and correcting any mistakes.

Just a comment on the livetunebook site - it is indeed quite sophisticated, the credit is all due to Richard Robinson who has developed the database and web frontend, and he's still developing it. I just added tunes, many collected by others. I find it a convenient way to store the tunes and generate tunebook PDFs and midis. If you were to add your ABCs to his site, it would be possible to add images and 'play midi' links to the search results from your site, for example (or perhaps you'll develop that yourself in good time!).

best wishes,

Paul
paulsherwood6

Postby Jon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:10 am

I only see three (3) "top session" tunes on the site.

You say there are 17 tunes posted - where?
Jon

Postby Jon » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:19 am

paulsherwood - can you give us the link to the livetunebook site?
Jon

Postby paulsherwood6 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:19 am

Hi Jon,

Richard Robinson's site is at http://livetunebook.qualmograph.org.uk

There are lots of ways to search the tunes, but one way to see the
tunes I have put there, sorted to some extent, go to
http://livetunebook.qualmograph.org.uk/front
and click on Show People Selector
Next to my name you will see View Collections, choose that and quite a
few of these collections are gurdy specific (e.g. tunes for D/G or G/C instruments).

Paul

PS Note that I have respected Richard's wishes to try and avoid copyright material, so you will see some of the collections are missing tunes by living composers.
paulsherwood6

Postby WaterPig Master » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi there
I only see three (3) "top session" tunes on the site.

You say there are 17 tunes posted - where?

There are now more like 55 tunes in the database - all you have to do is click on the 'search' link at the top. That takes you to a page you can search the entries with. Just pressing the search button without specifying any words to search for shows you all the tunes. I have recently added functionality to only search early music, and search words of songs that have them. Click here for the search page: http://www.waterpigs.co.uk/WPSM/searchForm.html

The 3 top session tunes are for people who don't know which to learn first... I'll be adding a list of my personal favourites too.

When I actually get a gurdy (Which shouldn't be to long now!) I'll be able to add tunes far faster - as fast as I can learn them!

Development and tune addition has been slow recently due to some bothersome exams that I've had to revise for - but I've added a few more Folk tunes and a load of Medieval stuff I had lying around.

Thanks,
Barnaby

P.S. I have put some more information on the site regarding use of accents, and why I don't provide sheet music or a midi file. This and more can be found in the FAQ section: http://www.waterpigs.co.uk/WPSM/faq.php
WaterPig Master

Return to Playing