A beginner's question

Hurdy-gurdy tunes, playing tips and advice, sheet music and books

A beginner's question

Postby chrisbarton303 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:19 pm

At the risk of asking a question that may seem daft to experienced players (especially as I haven't actually got my instrument yet)...

I see on Neil Brook's trompette workshop that his method for the coup de 3 and coup de 4 assumes you complete the coup over a single revolution of the crank (so I'm guessing 1 turn = 1 bar of music). Given that the tempo of different tunes can vary considerably, am I right in thinking that the chien responds to variations in the speed at which you turn the crank, rather than the absolute speed? Otherwise you'd end up with a constant buzz during tunes above a certain tempo.

Again, sorry if I'm showing my lack of experience - I've yet to meet a hurdy gurdy player in the flesh, so the internet is my only source of information!

Chris
chrisbarton303

Re: A beginner's question

Postby Scott Marshall » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:04 am

Chris, don't worry!
On a French style instrument there is a peg in the tailpiece you turn to adjust the sensitivity of the buzz. You set it to the speed/style of music you are playing. On Hungarian and Swedish type instruments there is a wedge arrangement to do the same job. Where abouts do you live? I am sure you would have a player nearby who would help get you started.
Cheers
Scott

hg1.jpg
hg1.jpg (42.37 KiB) Viewed 1867 times
Scott Marshall

Re: A beginner's question

Postby chrisbarton303 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks Scott, that makes perfect sense - a fairly obvious solution I guess! I'm based in Ashford, Kent at the moment, but by the time my hurdy gurdy is ready this may have changed! I'll send out an SOS once I've taken delivery
chrisbarton303

Return to Playing