Straps

Cotton, rosin, bags, cases, tuners, straps, music stands, foot rests, stools and other stuff - lets discuss them here

Straps

Postby frankvic » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:52 pm

I used to have a wonderful strap. Well I didn't know how good it was until I lost it. It was light, stable and strong. It was a perfect fit, and I could easily pop the gurdy between two holes to make it tighter or slacker, for when I wanted to do some maintenance without removing it.

The problem I have is that I am quite slim - one of those people who find they have airspace between themselves and the lap strap in a car. Almost every strap I've had (5 or 6 now) seems to have been designed for more... erm substantial people than me.

I surfed the recesses of the hinternet looking for a replacement but couldn't come up with anything. In the end I asked Neil Brook and he recommended a Levy guitar strap. I looked on the internet again and realsied that this was the strap I had lost!

So I got one. Oh dear it was far to long - back to square one. So I contacted a master saddler here in Norwich (Mr Murray) and he did a fantastic job of shortening it for a fiver. I'm happy now. In fact, I was showing people my rather plain and boring looking leather strap and eulogising about it, but they were far more interested in the HG!

Anyone else got any perhaps less convoluted strap stories or sources?
frankvic

Re: Straps

Postby WaterPig Master » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi there

The first time ever I had a go on a hurdy gurdy, the strap was too big (I am skinny and 14, not the usual HG strap audience!) and poor Mike had to hold the gurdy in the right place while i played a few keys - consequently I had never actually played one till recently!

I am kind of hoping the strap Chris Allen makes will not get lost - If it does, I could always try making one.

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Postby Scott Marshall » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:18 pm

I bought one of Claire Dugue's leather straps at Towersey a couple of years ago and it is still my favourite...it is really good quality leather and very wide plus has lots of holes which is good for letting other people try your gurdy. I will try to add a pic. Straps are really important in keeping the instrument still, it is really hard to play a loose gurdy :lol: Some gurdies have really big buttons and it is hard to get them through the strap holes on guitar straps. Cheers
Scott
Scott Marshall

Postby WaterPig Master » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Hi there

Sorry, this is way off topic - but do you mean Towersey Festival? It was recommended to me by a friend after I went to the Blowzabella Concert - are there regularly gurdy people selling there?

Thanks,
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

Postby Scott Marshall » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:39 pm

WaterPig Master wrote:Hi there

Sorry, this is way off topic - but do you mean Towersey Festival? It was recommended to me by a friend after I went to the Blowzabella Concert - are there regularly gurdy people selling there?

Thanks,
Barnaby

Hi Barnaby : Yes Towersey Festival, Claire Dugué has had a stall there the last few years I think, I think the best place to meet the makers is at the gurdyfest...but then I would :D
Scott Marshall

Postby daveholland » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:15 am

WaterPig Master wrote:The first time ever I had a go on a hurdy gurdy, the strap was too big (I am skinny and 14, not the usual HG strap audience!

Last time I was demo-ing my HG and let a young/thin person have a go, I ended up putting the strap around the back of the chair as well as their body. :-)
daveholland

Postby WaterPig Master » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:47 pm

Hi there

Claire Dugué has had a stall there the last few years I think, I think the best place to meet the makers is at the gurdyfest...but then I would

Don't worry, I'll almost certainly be at the gurdyfest! Hopefully by then I'll have a gurdy, even if it's one I've made myself.

Last time I was demo-ing my HG and let a young/thin person have a go, I ended up putting the strap around the back of the chair as well as their body.

We didn't have a chair!

Thanks,
Barnaby
WaterPig Master

Postby halpin_bridget » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Being rather slim that's a problem I've had too when wanting to try out someone else's gurdy. My trick has been using a cushion (or 2) between my back and the strap (but that would of course mean that you'd need to somewhere where there are cushions ;o]).
Bridget
halpin_bridget

Postby Glyn.Edmonds » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:02 pm

halpin_bridget wrote:Being rather slim that's a problem I've had too when wanting to try out someone else's gurdy. My trick has been using a cushion (or 2) between my back and the strap (but that would of course mean that you'd need to somewhere where there are cushions ;o]).
Bridget

Yeh! I know that problem I always have a cushion up my pullover!! :lol:
Glyn.Edmonds

Postby halpin_bridget » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Glyn, and there was me thinking that was your love of good food and drink! ;)
halpin_bridget

Return to Accessories