Let's count then...

Share your life-experiences as a lady hurdy-gurdy player with us here, the place to discuss what to do if you had mistaken your rosin with your lipstick and whether your hair extensions will do as emergency cotton or not. No beards allowed! :-)

Let's count then...

Postby CeciliaKM » Sat May 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Hello, and welcome to the girlie section of the forum!

Now that we have had so many ladies joining the Yahoo forum recently, I wondered what's the man-woman ratio in the hurdy-gurdy world. So, if you are a lady, please come and post, and let us know if you know others too.
It would be also interesting to hear how you slot in your practice times between household chores, what is your ambition with your gurdy playing and how does the family (if there is) react to your noisy hobby.

Cecilia
Cecilia

"si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"
"ha hallgattál volna, bölcs maradtál volna"
"if only you had kept quiet you would have remained wise"
CeciliaKM
Site Admin

Re: Let's count then...

Postby ruthbramley » Sat May 02, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm here. What's this about chores? I started playing gurdy in 2001, when my sons were 16 and 14, so still taking a lot of parenting, needing lifts here there and everywhere, etc. I was working part-time then, just three mornings a week, so had plenty of time for practice and progressed very well in that first year. Then I got a full-time job and things started to get a bit more difficult time-wise. Still, I had started playing with Sam and Ferris by then, and so we had regular practices as a band and I continued to improve, although at a slower rate than initially, but I think that's to be expected. Since Sam and Ferris moved to Ireland, 2 years ago, my practice has become much less. The boys have both left home now (one is married!) so I don't have parenting responsibilities in the same way, so theoretically I should now have far more time on my hands to do things like gurdy practice. However, I have recently been promoted at work, which is great except that I am now working silly hours and coming home exhausted in the evenings as the work is much more stressful. Must try and sort out my work/life balance I think. Although Nuada are still technically together, we only play occasional gigs either in England or in Ireland, so I find that motivation is a bit low. I love the gurdy, but just don't seem to have enough time or energy to play much at the moment :(
Forthcoming gigs:
14 Oct - Steve Tilston, Ely Folk Club
18 Nov - James Hickman and Dan Cassidy, Ely Folk Club
5 Dec - ColvinQuarmby, Arkenstall Village Centre, Haddenham, Cambs
9 Dec - Dave Swarbrick, Ely Folk Club
ruthbramley

Postby GertieCranker » Mon May 04, 2009 11:25 am

I 'retired' 2 years ago, thinking "NOW I will find the time." Then I had a surgery which turned into a year long project, disabled my cranking arm, and sent me to a nursing home for recovery. No practice--none. Now I am feeling better--much better--and just getting back to practice. But I work too, and play in several Celtic groups--whistle, not hurdy gurdy. So when was the time to practice????
GertieCranker

Postby halpin_bridget » Wed May 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Well, I must confess I'm very lucky in that I only have a 30-hour week, no kids, no pets and don't live with my partner (i.e. have my own flat) so I do get to practice almost every day 1-2 hours (what luxury, eh?). And the chores just have to wait sometimes - I mean, you have to set priorities in life, don't you? :lol: There are quite a few female gurdy players at the weekend workshops I go to twice a year here near Frankfurt (approx. 40%), although there are only two female tutors at these courses.
halpin_bridget

Postby peanutsmum » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:06 pm

I hope to be a player before too long. I'm waiting for a gurdy and building up some funds. So I guess for now I'm a gurdy girl to be.
peanutsmum

Postby Kay » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:28 pm

Hello! I'm here now too!

As I've only had my gurdy since the middle of May, I haven't developed a 'routine' yet. As I home educate practice has to be slotted in around my daughter. Fortunately, the husband-thing plays the trombone in a brass band and as they've made it through to the national championship finals at the Royal Albert Hall this year, he's diligently practising most nights when it's not band night, so I'm trying to do a bit of practising then (hurdy-gurdy AND trombone in the same house, I hear you think, OMG! Fortunately, we have an annex, where D goes... and no close neighbours!).

I would like to play it during the day a bit more - but I need to improve a bit before X will put up with it (four year olds can be brutally honest!).
Kay

Postby ruthie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:45 pm

Hello,

I'm another one. As for other commitments i've just gone 22 and as of yet have no kids or husbands to worry about and chores are always at the bottom of the list if there atall.

I do however live in the middle of a row of terraced houses. Luckily, the neighbour on one side is a little lady that lives in a caravan in Wales most of the year and the other neighbour has partys til six in the morning so if i have a spot of early morning hurdy gurdy practice i don't feel too guilty. I like to think we have an understanding...

XXX
ruthie

Postby victoryfarm » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm hoping to become one.

Money is, unfortunately, very tight right now, so it will be a while before I can afford an instrument, but I'm working on it! And there aren't many resources where I live in the U.S., but people on this and other forums have extended offers of assistance, which is lovely.

I love the sound of the HG, and am hoping my slightly arthritic hands can handle it better than some other instruments. I AM wondering how my greyhound is going to take to it, though. I foresee a lot of groaning...

Mary
victoryfarm

Postby halpin_bridget » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:22 am

Welcome to the forum Mary. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your financial situation changes in the not too distant future so that you (and your greyhound) will be able to enjoy the beautiful sounds of the hurdy gurdy.
Bridget
halpin_bridget

Postby victoryfarm » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks, Bridget! I'm hoping that by Spring things will have eased up a bit!

By then, also, I should have a better idea of what HG I want to invest in.

Mary
victoryfarm

Next

Return to Gurdy Girls