Chris Allen Chromatic Symphonie

Tell us about your instrument, share your experiences

Chris Allen Chromatic Symphonie

Postby WaterPig Master » Fri May 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Hi there

Those of you who saw me at the Gurdyfest will probably have seen my Symphonie already - but for those who haven't, and those who want a more detailed look at it, I've posted two videos on youtube - demonstration and a technical review.

Demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJSOwSWGYv8
Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3b6NlPXS-0

For those who don't want to watch the videos - It's a fabulous instrument! Wonderful tone and acoustic balance, surprisingly loud for it's size, great trompette, very nice keys (good for slides and trills), and great capos. The soundboard scratches easily (Cedar), and there are a few inherent problems with the small wheel, including the very top note being more of a problem than on most gurdies, as one of the chanters is moved off the wheel if you press too hard! That's just a little niggle though - it's amazing that notes that high even work!

If you have any more questions, please PM me and ask - I'll be posting more videos periodically. Enjoy!

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Re: Chris Allen Chromatic Symphonie

Postby halpin_bridget » Sat May 22, 2010 9:11 am

Hi Barnaby,
I saw your new Symphonie at Youlgrave but hadn't heard it - until now - fantastic sound! Very good videos explaining the set-up of your instrument and nice playing.
Have fun playing your symphonie ;) .
Regards,
Bridget
halpin_bridget

Postby halfies » Sun May 23, 2010 11:03 am

Wow Barnaby, very well done with two really engaging videos.

Your new Symphonie sounds terrific, astonishing just how much louder it is with the lid open and we watched with amusement your thumb speeding along the box rim as you fingered the notes. Your delight in the instrument is a pleasure to see.

Since GurdyFest your newfound skills have advanced bigtime haven't they, and we are quite envious of the progress in your Trompetting never mind the flash skipping around on the keys.

More please.

Very best from Rob and Marj'
halfies

Postby WaterPig Master » Mon May 24, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi there

Thanks for your replies, very flattered by the praise. You should have heard it before I managed to fix a warble that had occurred on low E, 2nd melody string - it took half a screech filled hour before I figured out that it was actually to do with the tangent - it wasn't screwed in tight enough, and must have been wobbling slightly.

I'm playing around with Parallel Organum - melody strings tunes a 4th or 5th apart, for example. I've had good results with descending 4ths, but it only works with some tunes, and would probably require slightly thicker strings if I wanted to do it properly - but I'll work on a few tunes in that style and probably post my next video based around that. Organum has such a brilliant sound, that you can only really get from a gurdy or an organ. And I don't have an organ yet :)

Thanks,
Barnaby
Most buskers aren't tramps... Most!
WaterPig Master

Return to Instrument reviews