RSS feed

Your comments, criticism are welcome here (limit your expectations though), also a place to test the BB

RSS feed

Postby CeciliaKM » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:44 pm

Now I am adding this message to test my new RSS sub. It may take a day to receive it, but there needs to be at least one new post, so I have created it.
If works, I will feel quite a bit victorious:)

But for the record, beyond adding RSS to the site, I needed to suss out how to use RSS readers. Google has a neat one, but there are many available free, just google up "RSS feed reader".
If you want to opt for email to be delivered in your mailbox, this looks like a neat and simple solution:
http://www.feedmyinbox.com/

In the enter the website URL field write this:
http://gurdy.co.uk/forum/rss.php
Then give them your email address and off you go. You get a notification email, then after a day, in principle, all the new messages should arrive into your mailbox. I am testing it myself and I am just only on the first 10 minutes since setting up, so look forward to tomorrow night...

Keep your fingers crossed!

Cecilia
Cecilia

"si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"
"ha hallgattál volna, bölcs maradtál volna"
"if only you had kept quiet you would have remained wise"
CeciliaKM
Site Admin

Re: RSS feed

Postby mjh » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:27 am

Cecilia,

The RSS feed seems to be working fine; Congratulations !

As regards aggregators and readers, my preference is to use browser plugins. My browser of choice is Firefox, and Sage, Sage-Too and Wizz are all well integrated if you need more than it's built in live bookmarks. IE 8 has RSS feed abilities, but I don't use Windows any more than forced, so have never looked at IE7 and RSS.

I don't think speed is a design imperative for RSS; the idea is to be able to represent changes across multiple sites and notify the reader that something has happend and where that is in a consistent and summarised manner.

Perhaps we need a "Feature Request" or "BB Operations" board where this sort of information can be discussed.

Mark
mjh

Postby daveholland » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:08 am

Hi Cecilia,

the RSS feed is working just fine for me - I'm using Google Reader. Well done and thanks! :D

Cheers,
Dave
daveholland

Postby andycarter » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:35 am

RSS also up and working as a 'Web Feed' on my Nokia N95 phone!

Cheers
Andy
Pennine West Yorkshire
UK
andycarter

Postby cranker » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Another happy Google Reader subscriber here :D . Thanks for adding the RSS feed Cecilia.

Jim
cranker

Postby andycarter » Thu May 28, 2009 10:38 am

Hi,
I was having a bit of a muse while travelling to Youlgrave the other weekend.

I think if one of the administrators (Cecilia?) set up 'new posting' alerts to an email address, but used the email address of the 'other' place (the Yahoo group), you could set up a feed from the forum to the group. As the forum alert contains a 'Read Main Topic' link, it may steer people to the forum? Or do you think it might generate too much traffice to the group?

I'm on a similar forum to this, but that one only sends an alert with the title & url of the new post. Perhaps the 'mystery element' of not knowing quite what the post was would attract people over here?

Cheers
Andy
Andy Carter + Blue Hurdy
Pennine West Yorkshire
UK
andycarter

Postby Scott Marshall » Thu May 28, 2009 5:35 pm

Andy we tried, we can't do it direct, but I think we will forward our own feed to the HGF yahoo group starting next week!
Scott Marshall

Postby andycarter » Thu May 28, 2009 6:10 pm

Oh good! :)
I can remember making a mental note to mention it at the time, but couldn't remember if I actually did!

Cheers
Andy
Andy Carter + Blue Hurdy
Pennine West Yorkshire
UK
andycarter

Postby Scott Marshall » Thu May 28, 2009 10:07 pm

Yes you did! It's where we got the idea from :lol: (It was great to see you at the fest Andy...thanks for helping out)
Scott Marshall

Postby psychotriav » Fri May 29, 2009 10:23 am

Works fine for me too! Thanks to Cecilia. : :D :D

Steve
psychotriav

Return to Bulletin Board Bashing